[SOLVED] Single vs Dual Fans NH-D15 with Ryzen 3700x + Case Airflow

Oct 17, 2019
I recently set up new system, bought the noctua NH-D15 since the cpu was running hot while gaming (86c). I'm wondering if I should use single or dual fan configuration. Would the single fan be enough to keep a 3700x cool? I'm not planning on overclocking.

My casing currently has 2x 140mm intake fans, 1x 140mm exhaust fan. Uninstalled 1x Noctua ippc NF-A14 tbd exhaust or intake.

I'm not sure if airflow in my casing is good. Although my gpu hits 65c max running the same games where my cpu hits 86c.

If the single fan is enough for the cooler, I thinking of using the 2nd fan as an extra intake fan in the casing, as well as adding 1 more exhaust fan(NF-A14)

What do you guys think?

System:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus ROG Strix 570x-E Gaming
Asus Rtx 2070 Super 8G Strix Gaming A8G
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb X2
Seasonic Snow Silent 750w
Fractal Design Define R6
Room temp : ~30c (SEA region)

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It shouldn't make too much of a difference. At stock clocks the NH-D15 is more than enough with a single or two fans.

Here is a quote from noctua "Performance: While the base performance of the NH-D15 and NH-D15S heatsinks is identical, the dual fan configuration of the NH-D15 can provide 1-3°C better performance."

The NH-D15s is the single fan version of the NH-D15.

https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s

Solution
Oct 17, 2019
It shouldn't make too much of a difference. At stock clocks the NH-D15 is more than enough with a single or two fans.

Here is a quote from noctua "Performance: While the base performance of the NH-D15 and NH-D15S heatsinks is identical, the dual fan configuration of the NH-D15 can provide 1-3°C better performance."

The NH-D15s is the single fan version of the NH-D15.

https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s
Thank you, I ended up using the single fan, it made a huge difference. So the 2nd fan was indeed unnecessary. CPU temps dropped by 15-20c!