Slow Internet Speeds on only one computer. [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
My main computer has not been maintaining full internet speeds while my phone and tablet are?

I pay for 30/5 internet and my down lately has been super slow on my PC. hitting as low as 0.4Mbps up to 34Mbps. Over the last few weeks, it's been hovering around the 4 to 17 range.

I monitored it closely one night for 4 hours and noticed really slow speeds.

So after contacting my ISP and they came out we realized that this was my problem and not theirs. More specifically... it was my single PC getting low speeds. NOTHING ELSE.

My phone pulls 34Mbps consistently through the WiFi on the same network. My laptop pulls 34Mbps while hooked up to the modem and via WiFi. My Tablet pulls 30Mbps through WiFi. My computer pulls crap from the router or while hooked up to the modem.

I have installed the most up-to-date drivers for my NIC and the ones that came with the mobo disc and still crap.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled the NIC and nothing is working. I just reinstalled Windows yesterday and still nothing. I bought a wireless USB adapter and STILL pulling around 10Mbps right now.

And yes, I tested this with ONLY the computer connected and no devices. I have checked all my cables and ruled out any damaged cables (even though since the WiFi is working for everything else, I know my problem is not in my router or modem.)

The problem exists on my computer alone regardless of connection type or path and is pulling crappy numbers from a network that is putting out great numbers. So, the problem has to be internal on my computer. But what could it be???

MoBo: --------ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M
Processor:----AMD A8-5600K APU Radeon HD 7560D
Graphics 2:---AMD Radeon HD 7850
Mem:----------Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8)
BIOS:---------American Microtrends vp2.10 3/14/2013
NIC:----------Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Router:-------Linksys WRT160Nv3
Modem:--------ARRIS CM820

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
OMG... I just solved this on my own.

I was looking under my installed programs since this was a fresh install and i noticed something that i had never seen before called AMD Quick Stream which i assume came from my AMD all-in-one Driver. I went to programs and opened it up and turns out it seems like this program regulates internet flow to programs based on demand and need. You can have it allocate bandwidth and even reserve bandwidth for certain programs and it increases these bandwidths based on how much it's using.

This explains everything. It explains why ONLY my computer was getting crappy tests but everything else was fine. It also explains why my speed tests slowly got faster and faster every time i tested because it was...

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

I reformatted and fresh installed windows yesterday.. not even 18 hours ago.. and when i installed windows i installed chrome and my network drivers and got 7Mbps

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

But the router works fine... i ruled it out.
I get 34Mbps from the router to my phone, laptop, and tablet
i get crap from the router on my PC wired or wireless BUT... i also get crap from being hardwired to the modem.
so that means this cant be a modem or router issue because they are working properly

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
basically...

Router to Phone --34
Router to tablet ---34
Router to Laptop (WiFi)--34
Router to Laptop (Wired)--34
Router to PC (Wifi) ---Junk
Router to PC (Wired) --Junk

Modem to Laptop --34
Modem to PC ------ Junk

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
OMG... I just solved this on my own.

I was looking under my installed programs since this was a fresh install and i noticed something that i had never seen before called AMD Quick Stream which i assume came from my AMD all-in-one Driver. I went to programs and opened it up and turns out it seems like this program regulates internet flow to programs based on demand and need. You can have it allocate bandwidth and even reserve bandwidth for certain programs and it increases these bandwidths based on how much it's using.

This explains everything. It explains why ONLY my computer was getting crappy tests but everything else was fine. It also explains why my speed tests slowly got faster and faster every time i tested because it was allowing Chrome to use more internet every time i tested the speed because it was hitting the current limit. It also explains why the speed would slowly go up EVEN WHILE the test was happening.

i uninstalled this, reset the computer, and BOOM... 34Mbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

BamBamxxxx

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Oh my god, yes! I had this problem for a month! Called three ISP technicians out, but it was that stupid AMD Quick Stream program! Thank you so much for this solution!

RyanBingham

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
I just wanted to say THANK YOU
I too had this problem for waaaaay to long and I had tried everything until I stumbled across your answer about AMD quick stream. What a worthless program.

infam0us

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I had this same exact problem on my laptop.. I have a 500/500mbps connection and my laptop was perfectly fine and then all of a sudden the internet speeds got slow and ive tried everything.. even reset the network configurations through command line via the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Note: If you want to reset your configuration via those commands open Command Line as Administrator.

Anyway, I had ran those commands and nothing.. I thought that maybe the drivers from my realtek wifi adapter that I use for different things that I will not state on here conflicted with the current drivers installed for the built in wifi. I uninstalled it and a few other things that I thought would be causing the problem and nothing helped.. I came across this thread and I had the SAME EXACT damn program running.. Sure enough, I uninstalled it and it worked out... I get up to 100/100 mbps with a wired connection now instead of 2mbps/50mbps and on wifi I am getting around 55-65mbps down/up... For anyone else who has had this problem I suggest removing AMD Quick Stream.. Definitely doesn't help out anything as far as your internet speed goes, especially if you want your speeds at all times but I do suppose it has its uses if you want to limit bandwidth toward certain programs. Again thanks for finding the solution.

-fame aka infam0us

Infamy

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
You can run the same commands that infam0us listed above just to be safe and have your settings reset, they will not affect any speed optimizations you may have made, for example Verizon FIOS Speed Optimizer, if you run those commands in Command Prompt it will reset your default network settings but will not remove the optimization settings that Verizon's optimizer has set. Also if you dont want to uninstall AMD Quick Stream, you can just open the program and disable it from running. Once you stop the program from running it will not affect any bandwidth being restricted to any programs on your PC or Laptop. It is a good tool to have incase you do decide to restrict bandwidth toward certain programs running on your PC or Laptop. The above command prompt settings and disabling Quick Stream has worked for me and should work for many others that are confused as to why their internet speeds are slow.

There is also another thing you can do to help for wifi connections and that is to login to your router and disable WMM. Its used for video messaging etc but not necessary to have enabled. That sometimes causes an issue for people as well. You can also go to your Network Connections, open properties for your wifi device, click on Configure, open the Advanced tab and change the AdHoc from 11g to 11n if its not already set.

Hope everyone gets their problems solved by what has been suggested in this thread because it has helped many people including myself. I am not a novice user but I did get stuck a bit on why this was happening on my laptop.

Viraj Nagre

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015
hey.....i am having same problem in my laptop.....but i cant find AMD quick stream anywhere.....my laptop is dell inspiron 15R 5537 4th gen intel i5 4200U 8 GB RAM Windows 8.1 64bit......getting shitty speed.....help me out ASAP

BamBamxxxx

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Your laptop doesn't have any AMD graphics, so it's very unlikely that you would even have any AMD software, let alone AMD Quick Stream. Your problem must be stemming from something else. I'm sorry T.T

Viraj Nagre

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015

This laptop does have AMD raedon hd 8670M graphics card........and I'm sure......so is there any other way to solve my problem???

Viraj Nagre

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015

This laptop does have AMD raedon hd 8670M graphics card........and I'm sure......so is there any other way to solve my problem???

BamBamxxxx

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Ah, it's a higher spec'd model. My apologies.
When you encounter the issue, open your task manager and check the list of processes for "AMD Quick Stream". You can end the process, or right-click it and select "Open File Location" . I believe the directory should be C:\Program Files\AMD Quick Stream. Once there, there should be an executable to uninstall the program, maybe named "uninst000.exe". If you still can not find the program, then again, there's most likely another cause.

Viraj Nagre

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015

I couldnt find the program.......its making me insane....what else can I do???

Nanos

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I was having this problem as well, but I didn't have an AMD...anything. It did give me an idea though. I started looking for other programs that may be affecting my internet speed. I looked at active processes running and noticed something called "AVG Web Tuneup." I use AVG for virus protection and it had apparently installed when I updated.

Uninstalled Web Tuneup, and my speed was back.

This may or may not be what other people are experiencing. My advice would be to check processes running while you are experiencing slow speed and look for clues.

mkkedm

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

I had the same issue even without Quick Stream. Uninstalled the video drivers and let windows figure it out. Problem solved.

Funny thing is that AMD claims the problem has been fixed a year ago!

Here's their quote: "This issue has been addressed with an updated version of the AMD QuickStream app.

You can download the update from the following link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDQuickStreamTechnology.aspx

Please make sure you uninstall the existing QuickStream app before installing this version."

Crazzeh

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

YOU ARE MY LORD AND SAVIOR! For real, I bought a new router thinking that was the issue..After you mentioned the quick steam thing it all clicked! The problem started occurring after that installed! Thank you so much!

berts112

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

I'm having same problem with slow internet only on one computer. However i don't have AMD Quick Stream on my computer, but my CPU is AMD, my GPU - nVidia. Please help me!! I'm sick of that my main computer internet is the slowest. What could it be?

Pothos

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

I just wanted to say - you are a life safer! I've been troubleshooting this for HOURS and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Changing out cables, trying differing NICs, directly connecting to router, dozens of resets.. but no.. it was the AMD Quick Stream program. Uninstalling solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.