[SOLVED] Slow / weak wireless network speed ?

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Hello, recently I have bought TP-link archer-c80 router so I can improve my network accessibility at home with 2 networks (5Ghz and 2.4Ghz). Im running both networks on that router but it seems that both have weak/slow network connection even tho Android device and speed test doesn't show so. Android device is showing all 5 of the signal bars and network speed test shows the exact same speed as on LAN cable (200Mb/s).
But when I'm trying to watch videos on youtube for example or searching Google it just freezes and loads and nothing seems to be happening - then I need to switch to network data on mobile phone and connect to WiFi again. Then again it works for few seconds and it starts loading again.

Does anyone have idea what is the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
This is very hard to troubleshoot with a phone a lot of the tools would have to run root level to work and even ones that don't you need to find apps to install. You would think since android is unix based you would get many of the cmd options but they removed them.

In general there are 2 big things that can cause this. You could be getting random data loss on wifi. Speedtest may not show it unless the loss happens when it is running. The standard test is to use ethernet to test if there is some wifi issues but this is not a option for a phone. Generally you only can try changing radio channels to see if it is better. This is done on the router not the phone.

The other common one is DNS issues. This though would not...
This is very hard to troubleshoot with a phone a lot of the tools would have to run root level to work and even ones that don't you need to find apps to install. You would think since android is unix based you would get many of the cmd options but they removed them.

In general there are 2 big things that can cause this. You could be getting random data loss on wifi. Speedtest may not show it unless the loss happens when it is running. The standard test is to use ethernet to test if there is some wifi issues but this is not a option for a phone. Generally you only can try changing radio channels to see if it is better. This is done on the router not the phone.

The other common one is DNS issues. This though would not affect a yourtube video after you started to play it but it is very common in web pages. You want to change the DNS to use one of the large DNS providers like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. The default is to use your router as a cache to the ISP dns server. Many phones it is difficult or impossible to set this you must change the DHCP on the router so it gives the phone these servers. How exactly you do this varies a lot between routers.

Solution

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Hello, thank you for your answer.
Okay I could try changing channels is that the same for 5Ghz as it is for 2.4Ghz since I'm not so familiar with 5Ghz frequency.

It's probably not the DNS since like you said it has nothing to do with Youtube being "laggy" could be with the Google pages being not responsive. My DNS is raspberry PIhole

Although there are many channels in 5g because you likely are using 80mhz bands there are only 2. It varies a bit from router to router but generally 42 and 155 are the center channels for 80mhz. You can try other ones buy you likely will have to set the channel width to 40 or 20 which will reduce your maximum speed.