[SOLVED] Slow Windows 10 install on ssd then uninstalls itself after restart

VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
Hi! My friend asked me to fix his pc. The problem could be easily fixed by a fresh reinstall of windows. At first I installed windows on his SSD. But for some reason it always took so long on "getting files ready". It was like stuck on 6% for a good 15 minutes which is quite unusual for an SSD. That is why I decided to install it on his hard drive. The installation went very quick. I installed some programs and drivers, then the PC needed a restart (which is normal when installing drivers). After restarting a message popped up on screen: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.'" saying that there was no drives containing an operating system and it just kept looping after that.

At first I thought that I just forgot to set the hard drive as #1 in the boot priority but when I tried to boot to the hard drive manually through the boot menu in the bios(f11) it still says that there was no operating system found on it.

Things that I have tried:
1.) Not restarting the PC
- To my surprise the hard drive (contains windows) works as intended, I was able to copy files on to it. Another weird thing is that the SSD Works! I did the "create new simple volume" and it actually works. Copying files to the SSD is so much faster than the HDD.
2.) Re creating the windows media creation tool
-This did absolutely nothing. Still installed very slow on the SSD and when I install it on the hard drive it still disappears when you restart the pc

Main Questions:
1.) Is the SSD broken. (Note: The windows install never finished because It took multiple hours and got stuck at some point)
2.) Why does windows disappear after restart (Does not boot to windows even if you manually select the hard drive) (The error says: An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.' )
3.) The bios displayed too many drives that does not exist. There were multiple drives that said UEFI hard disk but I am sure that there is only one HDD on the pc and it is the one I attempted to boot on "Main Question #2" The motherboard is MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS.

I'm really running out of ideas here, any input will be very appreciated.

Solution
vmbus.sys = virtual machine Bus - http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/vmbus-sys
Used with Hyper V I think. I think it starts the environment windows runs in.

Where did you get installer from?
try making a new one on a new USB stick - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
it could just be the installer, you could try it on ssd again.

its unusual for parts of windows to go bad - I don't know that file, I had to look it up.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
remove all other drives except the drive you what windows 10 on when installing. Only having 1 drive installed doesn't give windows any choices. it might be putting boot partition on other drive

reset bios to default settings before installing onto drive. that might clear its record of multiple disks

once we get win 10 onto something, we can work out if ssd is a problem.

VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
remove all other drives except the drive you what windows 10 on when installing. Only having 1 drive installed doesn't give windows any choices. it might be putting boot partition on other drive

reset bios to default settings before installing onto drive. that might clear its record of multiple disks

once we get win 10 onto something, we can work out if ssd is a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried converting the ssd to GPT just now ( I found out that it was running on MBR for some reason) it installed quickly on the SSD but when the pc restarted It showed up with this error message https://ibb.co/jwYHdfX The operating system could not be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors Error code:0xc0000221 not sure what to do from this point

Colif

Win 11 Master
vmbus.sys = virtual machine Bus - http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/vmbus-sys

try making a new one on a new USB stick - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

its unusual for parts of windows to go bad - I don't know that file, I had to look it up.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just to make it.

Solution

VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just to make it.
I will try it out tomorrow and I will mark this as the best answer for now. Thanks!