[SOLVED] Solid red light on mobo

Oct 2, 2020
So I am building my first pc and have connected everything. Went for first boot up and everything turned on so I was excited only to have it turn off and on in a loop, also no picture on monitor. I noticed there was a solid red light on my mobo and have been looking is that has anything to do with it? I don't think it's a PSU issue, my PSU is 650 watt gold. please help lol this has me very anxious.

Solution
Also my rig is "boot looping" it's turning on and staying on for about a minute then turns off and spins right back up in a continuous loop. Any idea what that can be?

Could be the motherboard that's causing you problems, even the PSU. Very hard to tell... would've been great if you had a secondary system to test.
Probably not the memory since it's quite unlikely that both modules are faulty.
Possibly isn't the GPU either, because even with the iGPU and dedicated GPU is doing the same thing.

I was initially thinking case was touching the motherboard and causing a short, but you tried outside your case and is still doing it.

It's coming down to either the motherboard or PSU, which are really hard to test unless you can swap...
I'd try starting the system with the bare minimums:

-run on the I5 10600K integrated GPU(Plug your monitor into the motherboard video outs).
-try with each stick of RAM individually... only 1 at a time.
-remove all storage drives

While you're at it recheck your cable connections aswell.

Oct 2, 2020
I'd try starting the system with the bare minimums:

-run on the I5 10600K integrated GPU(Plug your monitor into the motherboard video outs).
-try with each stick of RAM individually... only 1 at a time.
-remove all storage drives

While you're at it recheck your cable connections aswell.
yup saw a video on youtube and it's 100% NOT the ram. Should I remove the SSD? I'm thinking maybe CPU? is there a rare occurance where the cpu can be bad or malfunction? IDK I am very unlucky so wouldn't doubt it lol. thank you though.

yup saw a video on youtube and it's 100% NOT the ram. Should I remove the SSD? I'm thinking maybe CPU? is there a rare occurance where the cpu can be bad or malfunction? IDK I am very unlucky so wouldn't doubt it lol. thank you though.

Have you tested as I said?
It might well be if you didn't try each module.

Run with the bare minimums as I said in my comment before(see the list)... that way you'll rule out most of the stuff that's unnecessary to POST. You can even remove the RTX 2070 completely and run with the iGPU from the I5.
AND yes... remove all the drives SSDs, HDDs(if you have) they're not necessary to POST.

Oct 2, 2020
Have you tested as I said?
It might well be if you didn't try each module.

Run with the bare minimums as I said in my comment before(see the list)... that way you'll rule out most of the stuff that's unnecessary to POST. You can even remove the RTX 2070 completely and run with the iGPU from the I5.
AND yes... remove all the drives SSDs, HDDs(if you have) they're not necessary to POST.
I currently have everything out the case and only have the mobo connected to the psu along with the barebones you recommended me. I did look on AsRock's website for some troubleshooting and found something. There are four lights that can light up if there is an issue. They are all in a line from top to bottom is CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT. The VGA light is the one that is highlighted..so that is as far as i've gotten. No clue what that means but i'll just continue to browse around. btw thanks for your time this is all new to be but I want to get this accomplished lol.

Oct 2, 2020
CPU is highly unlikely to be the problem here unless you bent some pins on the motherboard when installing it... you could check.

Otherwise, motherboard and PSU can only be tested by replacing them with known working parts.
Also my rig is "boot looping" it's turning on and staying on for about a minute then turns off and spins right back up in a continuous loop. Any idea what that can be?

Could be the motherboard that's causing you problems, even the PSU. Very hard to tell... would've been great if you had a secondary system to test.
Probably not the memory since it's quite unlikely that both modules are faulty.
Possibly isn't the GPU either, because even with the iGPU and dedicated GPU is doing the same thing.

I was initially thinking case was touching the motherboard and causing a short, but you tried outside your case and is still doing it.

It's coming down to either the motherboard or PSU, which are really hard to test unless you can swap them.
Are you able to RMA? I'm assuming the parts are new.

Solution

Latest posts