[SOLVED] Fiber Optic Modem RX Optical Power greater than the Reference Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
I have many problems when using my internet for browsing and for gaming. I tried so many times calling my ISP to fix the problems but they give fake advises and do unnecessary things to make me believe that they fixed the problem. However the problem is still present.

I don't know much about what I'm going to talk but if you know please tell me a bit more of it.

So, I entered my modem setup page and clicked on Optical Information.

I've checked the Rx Optical power for my neighbors and my cousins from other regions, there Rx Optical power is between -16 dBm and -17 dBm. OK.

Only for me it was -23.77 dBm then I explained the problem to the technician who came to my home he said -23.77 dBm is fine and it should not go beyond -25 dBm.

Now, the RX Optical power has increased way too much and is -27.21 dBm which is beyond the Reference Value on the router setup page. Ref value : -27 to -8 dBm.

See the image:

P3HlDGc.jpg

If you know what is the problem you can tell me so I can tell those asshole technician to do there job properly. Because I have so many lags when playing games online and disconnects very often from games.

Additional Info: On the installation day 2 year ago. The modem was not working there was a faulty cable (a yellow cable that connects from the wall square and on the modem). I believe that the problem can be from the small square thing in the wall; which; inside, they've cut the rest and pealed the black cable coming from outside to get a small thin transparent fiber and then they solder the plug part together. They tried like 8 times and on the 9th time it was a success.

It can be damaged or something that is why I;m getting interference? Or may be the external cable is faulty. I don't know. I need an argument to make them understand that I know where the problem is. Because, they lie to people who don't know and make some acting like they fixed it and tell you its fine, they fixed it. I've made complaints to my ISP several time about the technicians who neglect there work but nothing happened.

It's been a very long story. OMG. Sorry for the long post and my English.

Solution

While u waiting more pictures, the problem is actually very simple.

See that thin blue strand on pic above? he says it's touching other wires or touching itself where it's rolled. The exact technical problem is called CROSS-TALK, where the wire signal is LEAKING and contaminating another nearby, and since this is optical (LIGHT), a simple piece of paper between two touching wires provides the blocking it needs.
Am probably silly (and dangerous? :) to suggest this, but hey, tinkering is half the fun right...

If this is a 2-strand fiber, stick some loose cotton in the RX path and see what happens. Make sure u are able to take it back out though.

Remember, we are just hobbysts like you, not paid Toms consultants.

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016

I did not understand what you said because my bad language.
Here are the pictures of how it looks. The blue fiber was too long so they've bend it.

zAZO2Hv.jpg

D13R2eB.jpg

CzIRQwf.jpg

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
I managed to make the RX Optical Power to decrease to - 20 dBm by putting a paper between the blue wire where they are being curved. They were not supposed to touch each other.

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016

Thanks to you. I would never get this idea if you haven't told me the cotton thing ;)

Aug 23, 2018

hello i have same problem as you, can i look photos your router and the blue wire to solve this problem?

While u waiting more pictures, the problem is actually very simple.

See that thin blue strand on pic above? he says it's touching other wires or touching itself where it's rolled. The exact technical problem is called CROSS-TALK, where the wire signal is LEAKING and contaminating another nearby, and since this is optical (LIGHT), a simple piece of paper between two touching wires provides the blocking it needs.

Solution

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016

Yes. Exactly. I've used a thick piece of paper so that the light cannot go through it.

Tzbi2N1.png

Aug 23, 2018

hmm my blue wire has been covered by outer cable but RX Optical Power is still at -27,21

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS