Question SOLVED: My RTX 2070 notebook GPU drops clock to 1200 intermittently ingame, not overheating. Why?

Mar 4, 2020
Hi, I have an ASUS ROG Strix Scar II laptop with an RTX 2070 and 8750h. During a game -particularly BF5 - I have great performance hitting over 100fps most of the time, then occasionally my GPU seems to hit a power limit and go to an idle state as seen in GPU-Z.

When the GPU goes to its idle state for only 10-20 secs, the core clock drops to 1200 and so does fps to around 35-40 (BF5).

I've recently applied new Thermal compound (Thermal Grizzly kryonaut) -to the CPU and GPU and 0.5mm thermal pads to the VRM- which keeps temps in the 70s to low 80s. Driver has also been reinstalled completely using DDU.

Could it be a result of my repasting? Or more of a Windows issue?

EDIT: It's still occurring with a fresh install of Windows

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version are you currently on? You can try and see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop and see if that changes your experience. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Mar 4, 2020
Which BIOS version are you currently on? You can try and see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop and see if that changes your experience. Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

I'm on bios version 308 (latest) and the latest windows 1909 update

Mar 4, 2020
SOLVED!
It was my thermal pads causing the VRM or VRAM to overheat which I couldn't exactly monitor. I replaced the pads with kryonaut and now she runs beautifully. Thankyou so much to all the awesome people who tried to help me out!