Question [Solved] Problem with a Lan installation: PXE-E53 No boot file name received

Mich-C

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hi guys, I'm trying to install Windows 7 on an old laptop via LAN (the laptop does not support boot from USB and the DVD player gives problems)

I followed these 2 guides:
  1. to configure the free version of Serva.
  2. to configure TFTPboot.

At this point I connect the laptop to my router, I chose the LAN boot... but I always get this error: (with both the 2 softwares/guides!)

Code:
PXE-E53: No boot file name received
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

What cause this error? How can I solve it?
Thanks in advance!

Mich-C

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
There is a configuration issue with your boot server. Did you put the correct MAC address into the server config?
Thank you for the reply.
I didn't configure anything about Mac address since there's no trace of it in the guides. Moreover I don't see any field about Mac address on Serva or TFTPboot...

Mich-C

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Holly Toledo. PXE?!! 80's technology? Does it even work still?
Why? What is the standard for installation into a lan network today? 😅 (Anyway I don't know if these new methods can work on this old Intel Centrino Laptop)

Why? What is the standard for installation into a lan network today? 😅 (Anyway I don't know if these new methods can work on this old Intel Centrino Laptop)
For large corporate installation, the image is maintained on a deployment server, obviously not practical for the once-off home user.

PXE was designed in the days of DOS OS, very small images. Don't know where you are reading these guides, but if they are more than 10 years old, consider them obsolete.

Machine that old, via a bootable external optical.

Mich-C

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Don't know where you are reading these guides
Following this guide I resulted to boot:
View: https://youtu.be/RvCXb8a4M_o

The problem now is the software asks me a username and a password to access the shared folder that contains the windows file extracted from the iso.
As username I specified the one I inserted when I configured Serva (as the youtuber) but he doesn't insert any password. If I do the same I get an "0x56 incorrect password error"
I don't know where this password come from...

Mich-C

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Guys I reulted to install Windows trough Serva. ;)
Read the last comment I posted under that video to know how I solved the error