[SOLVED] Some keyboard keys stop working seemengly at random ?

Sep 10, 2020
I have an asus ROG GL752VW laptop,it s 4 years old. Recently(a bit more than a month) I noticed some keys would stop working at first try (mainly Q,TAB,1,sometimes others like M E etc). The thing is they usually dont work on the first shot(normal) press,but if I press the key for 5 seoncds it starts to work,and then it works maybe for like a minute on short(normal) presses and then it starts doing the same thing. At first I thought it maybe a mechanical issue since the keys Q,Tab and 1 are close to each other but recently I ve seen that other keys do that aswell and it s happening more often.
I have tried reinstalling drivers(I ve reainstalled windows actually) and I also opened up my laptop to check for the 3 ribbons(I think that s how you call them). One of them has been twisted since I first opened up my laptop 2 years ago and I noticed it s perforated a little but I looked online and that one is for the touchpad which seems to be working fine(I dont usually use it but when I test it it works fine). I disconnected,wiped the other 2 ribbons with a piece of soft cloth,make sure they re not dirty and reconnected them it didnt fix the issue.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, I would apreciate some suggestions.

Solution
You might want to see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Once you're sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version, you can then focus on the OS. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10.

You can try and remove the keycaps for the keys that seem to be unresponsive to see if there is any dirt, debris impeding the key press. Often times we can't see anything but use a fine bristle brush to dust the key switches underneath.

You can also try and source a replacement keyboard as it seems like the keyboard might just be failing which is common with laptops that have aged or are stressed, i.e, wear and tear.
Sep 10, 2020
I have a 4 years old ASUS ROG GL752VW.
Recently(last few months) some keys began to stop working at times(Mainly Q,1,TAB,).They can work fine even for hours (rarely) but most of the time they stop working and I have to press them for about 10 seconds for them to work,after that they maybe work normally for about a minute and then they stop working again. Sometimes I can press them for 20 seconds and nothing happends. What I noticed is they all fail or function at the same time(meaning if Q doesen t work ,neither are 1,TAB,). After that there are other keys like M,N,U,A that sometimes don t work on the first try,but almost all the time work on second press.
I connected a USB keyboard and that one works fine but I still want to fix the laptop s keyboard or find out what causes the issue.

I have tried:
Reinstalling Drivers
Reinstall Windows
I opened the laptop and unplugged and plugged back again the keyboard ribbon,wiped it with a piece of cloth and made sure it s not loose or damaged. (The Trackpad ribbon seemed to be damaged but the trackpad works fine)
I removed the Q key to check for dust or anything below it (I only removed the key,not the white clippers ) did not find nothing and I highly doubt it s soemthing of that nature.
Lastly I saw this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEA54Kg7uw&t=1653s&ab_channel=GOODTIMEStech%E2%84%A2
which seems to be a similar problem caused by the I/O controller.
I didn t check to see if there is corrosion on my I/O controller or any damage, but I am not sure since my keys are SOMETIMES working correctly if that is the issue and also with an external keyboard there is no problem.
Thank you for your time, I would relly apreciate some feedback/help

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Once you're sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version, you can then focus on the OS. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10.

You can try and remove the keycaps for the keys that seem to be unresponsive to see if there is any dirt, debris impeding the key press. Often times we can't see anything but use a fine bristle brush to dust the key switches underneath.

You can also try and source a replacement keyboard as it seems like the keyboard might just be failing which is common with laptops that have aged or are stressed, i.e, wear and tear.

Solution