[SOLVED] Some keys consistently type multiple different characters

Mar 7, 2021
Hey people, I've got a laptop keyboard problem. As the title hints, the problem is that some keys when pressed, they type the right letter, but also some other one. These are all I found so far.

1. Pressing A or J types AJ. Always in the same order. When I hold it, it types AJAJAJAJAJ etc. This applies to all the others.
  2. M or Q makes MQ
  3. 0 (right numpad) or N makes N0
  4. Y or TAB makes Y and TAB (this one is especially a pain in the arse)
  5. ; or 6 (top numerals) makes 6;
All the others behave normally. It started three days ago when I was just browsing YouTube. The funny part is that it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes out of nothing it just comes back to normal again, but after a while it's back again. Sometimes it just works fine and writes the broken letter only once and vice versa - but that is rare and usually it doesn't change fast, it is in one state for tens of minutes to even hours.

The important part is that an external USB keyboard works perfectly fine, but I don't have much space on my desk so in the end using a broken built-in keybord is more comfortable for me lol.
I already tried both a different OS (Linux) and reinstalling drivers - problem persisted, so drivers or some secret settings aren't probably the issue. I tried FN + Caps Lock and FN + Num Lock trick and for a second I thought it worked, but it was 99% just a coincidence, because on any other ocasion it didn't help anymore and I feel like this combo does literally nothing on my system anyways. I tried unplugging peripherals and stuff but I couldn't find any correlation. I even tried to take out the key covers and clean em but that didn't help either.

On the internet I stumbled upon someone who had a similar problem and they told him there could be something wrong with the keyboard connection and that he should unplug the keyboard cable and try to straighten the pins if they're bent or something. Sure, I repasted and undusted my laptop a few times so I have some experience with it, but completely removing the motherborard to reach the keyboard is like a whole another level for me. Let's say I wouldn't be exactly comfortable, so that's like a last resort for me and if I'm gonna do it, I'd like to at least know there is a chance it could resolve the problem. I also fear I'd have a hard time identifying a keyboard cable lol. Who knows, maybe this model has the cable reachable without removing the mobo, I don't know, couldn't find that info anywhere.

My laptop is ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR II GL504GW.

So what do you pros think? Any ideas what could be the cause or what could help? Thanks for your time!

UPDATE: I just tried typing something in BIOS and surely enough, it's broken even there. But with the difference that when pressed, it types only the first letter from the set (A or J types only A; M or Q types only M etc.) and when held, it types the first one once and then the second one repeatedly (A or J types AJJJ; M or Q types MQQQ etc.)

Last edited:
Solution
If you don't want to deal without a laptop for a while, then buy your own keyboard and swap it. The issue may be with the motherboard connector in which case new keyboard won't fix it. Those model keyboards may be tough to find also, it's a higher end gaming system, and most keyboards are for lower end business/basic use systems without fancy backlights or keys.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems like you might have a corrupt OS or the laptop is need of a keyboard replacement(or the entire laptop RMA'd if you're under it's warranty period). Which BIOS version are you on for your laptop and what OS version are you on? We're currently on version 20H2.

Reactions: Apof
Mar 7, 2021
Thank you!

I think I'm still under the warranty period but unfortunately I'm in a situation where I can't affort to be without laptop for weeks or even months.

My BIOS is version is: American Megatrends Inc. GL504GW.307, 18/06/2020
And while were at this topic, I just tried typing something in BIOS and surely enough, it's broken even there. But with the difference that when pressed, it types only the first letter from the set (A or J types only A; M or Q types only M etc.) and when held, it types the first one once and then the second one repeatedly (A or J types AJJJ; M or Q types MQQQ etc.)

I'm on OS version 20H2 as well, specifically build 19042.844

If you don't want to deal without a laptop for a while, then buy your own keyboard and swap it. The issue may be with the motherboard connector in which case new keyboard won't fix it. Those model keyboards may be tough to find also, it's a higher end gaming system, and most keyboards are for lower end business/basic use systems without fancy backlights or keys.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS