Something hogging the bandwidth and have no clue what

JayDaRay

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I use youtube quite a bit, and have been for some time now however as of recently, my internet bandwidth has been crazy. Windows' network usage tool shows me that chrome is using the majority of the bandwidth, which is fair considering I use chrome however I have been watching a similar amount of youtube for a long time now but this problem has only arisen recently. I installed the free AVG version to check my PC and it had a couple threats but they were mainly false positives from cracked games. Nevertheless, I removed them and removed the games aswell because this bandwidth hogging is a much bigger issue but that hasn't helped either. To give you an idea of how much is being used, my ISP shows about 18gb atleast per day with one or two days going up to 25-30gb possibly which is outrageous because I dont think I use that much youtube, maybe 3-4 hours a day. Also, does leaving youtube videos open consume a lot of bandwidth, like leaving them on pause, because I often leave them on pause in between my breaks whilst I am studying.

Solution
If you are pretty sure it is your PC there are a couple ways to see the traffic. First you can use the network tabs in resource monitor that will give you a pretty good idea of the remote site and the rate you are transferring data to it.

Now if you want very detailed information or something that you can run filters on you can load wireshark. It brute force captures all the data so you get a much better idea what is going on.

This only works to see data on your own machine but you can not see traffic from other devices.
If you are pretty sure it is your PC there are a couple ways to see the traffic. First you can use the network tabs in resource monitor that will give you a pretty good idea of the remote site and the rate you are transferring data to it.

Now if you want very detailed information or something that you can run filters on you can load wireshark. It brute force captures all the data so you get a much better idea what is going on.

This only works to see data on your own machine but you can not see traffic from other devices.

Solution