Question Something is interfering with my blue yeti microphone which causes it to creat a static, crackling sound

Apr 9, 2020
Hello,

I have this problem with my blue yeti microphone’s sound recording which creates this really annoying crackling and static noise. It’s just always there, even if I don’t talk in the mic.

I’ve noticed when I press the “listen to this device” that the crackling sounds stops when shutting down or starting up my pc. While shutting down/starting up I can hear myself constantly with the “listen to this device” on, and at a certain point I can hear myself perfectly without any static just before it shuts down. When starting up the pc it’s the same: I hear myself perfectly, until a certain point when the pc has started up some processes and then the crackling sounds begins again.

I suspect it’s a thing in windows that’s causing this since my mic is perfectly fine working as stated above.
I really hope someone here knows what’s causing it, because i have tried everything!

Ralston18

Titan
Try another known working microphone on your computer.

Try your Blue Yeti microphone on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the Blue Yeti.

Crackling/static is likely a loose connection somewhere. Just connected enough to work but able to move and that movement results in "sparks" and thus the crackling.

Gently wiggle plugs and ports and listen for the crackling and static sounds. If you can create the sounds by doing so then a loose connection or misfit is the likely culprit.

Check all plugs and ports for signs of distortion or damage. Check ports for debris inside.

Apr 9, 2020
Try another known working microphone on your computer.

Try your Blue Yeti microphone on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the Blue Yeti.

Crackling/static is likely a loose connection somewhere. Just connected enough to work but able to move and that movement results in "sparks" and thus the crackling.

Gently wiggle plugs and ports and listen for the crackling and static sounds. If you can create the sounds by doing so then a loose connection or misfit is the likely culprit.

Check all plugs and ports for signs of distortion or damage. Check ports for debris inside.

So I tried my microphone on an other pc, and it had the same problems. Then i decided to buy a new cable for the microphone. This did fix the problem, but after a day the same static noise was back... I'm really lost tbh. Nothing seems wrong with the ports from what I can see.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"So I tried my microphone on an other pc, and it had the same problems."

If the problem followed the Blue Yeti then the microphone would be the origin of the problem. Likely inside the microphone versus being in the cable.

Any warranty left on the Blue Yeti? Consider a warranty claim or RMA.