Question Something really feels off about my PC with the performance

Harrison1545

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Hey all!

So recently I was lucky enough to get a 3080 and before that, I had a GTX 1060 and so I was expecting a big increase in performance in a lot of games so of course, I swapped out the cards, update the drivers, etc and......well, nothing really blew me away, like at all. Sure, I did see a noticeable increase in performance but nowhere near what I've been seeing online with similar setups. Before I go into detail, here is my full system specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QjJgZZ

I also want to note I've delidded and overclocked my 7700K to 5GHZ and have already tired turning off the overclock.

In terms of the performance I'm getting, I used fraps to run a few benchmarks on some games, and here are the results.

All games are @ 1440p with ray tracing off unless specified and also with DLSS on.

COD Warzone - medium/low settings I'm getting an average of just 66fps

Apex Legends - medium/low settings I'm getting an average of 116fps

Cyberpunk 2077 - Ultra Settings with raytracing turned on I am getting an average of 43fps

COD Cold War - medium settings - a standard multiplayer match I'm getting an average of 132fps

This is a common occurrence in many other games as well.

Are these fps normal? Am I missing something? On Christmas day I got a new case and moved everything into the new case and properly ensured that everything was hooked up correctly etc and Windows was a fresh install before I got my 3080 so I don't see there being any issues there and I also used DDU and done a fresh install of drivers. Temperatures are also normal for both CPU and GPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Agree run userbenchmark. However a quad core 8 thread cpu is considered entry level these days. I strongly expect you are just seeing the limits of the cpu.

Take Cold War. I’m running a 3700x and 3080 at 1440p 144Hz. That game easily uses 80% or more on 12 threads when getting 150fps.

madchemist83

Distinguished
Agree, especially at anything lower than 4k you'll be cpu limited. I would take CP results with a bit of caution since the game is a wreck.
Not the best time to upgrade CPU but if you can snatch one of the new Ryzens you'll see big return. I myself have 3080 and 5800x and get 90ish fps in Cyberpunk at same resolution.

Harrison1545

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015

Harrison1545

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
I agree it's odd. The only thing I could think of is different chipset Z270 vs Z490.

Would it be anything in particular in regards with the motherboard? Just so I know what to look for in the future to avoid this mistake again if a certain chipset is better than the other as I'm planning on getting a 5700x if it get announced since I can't fix my issue.

Harrison1545

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Newer chipsets would support faster ram. Other than that I don't think so.
Have you tried 3dmark benches or superposition just to see how you compare against the rest ?
Are you overclocking your gpu ?

Well my GPU is already factory overclocked as it's the TUF 3080 OC Edition, In terms of 3dmark here are my results https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/55669493

I also made a post on reddit View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/kkt5sw/something_really_feels_off_about_my_pc_with_the/
and got a load of responses and have tried every single suggestion without a fix.

Harrison1545

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Your cpu is definitely hurting the total score, but gpu is a bit behind as well. My gpu score is 18555.
Not sure why it doesn't compare to the video that you posted.

Right I'm not an expert on any of this clearly but I just had a thought, it might be dumb. I'm using 2 nvme SSD's and I'm aware GPU's should use the top PCI E slot because it has the most lanes/bandwidth or whatever. I'm sure I read somewhere at some point that depending on what else runs on certain slots, it can reduce the number of lanes/performance to something else. I can't remember exactly what it was but because I am using 2 nvme SSDs. Could that possibly cause issues or am I way off?

EDIT: I've just realized that's probably the reason it disables some SATA ports so that it can keep bandwidth and after looking around it seems like it doesn't affect performance most of the time.

Last edited: