Jun 15, 2019
Hello all,

I've been dealing with this problem for a little while now and just found this website and am hoping someone out there can help. I'm having audio troubles. I have a custom built computer (can give specs if needed) with windows 10 pro and I've had it for probably a year or so now. Anyways, I have my headset plugged into the jacks in the back and every so often I get these weird roboting noises and then all sounds cut out. (notice it particularly when I am using discord or on youtube and it gives me some sort of audio device error.) I have to disable and reenable the realtek sound device and it sometimes works but every so often (this time) it works to an extent and I get some sounds back but for some reason I don't get game sounds. It's weird. I'll get sound in discord back and then for example in Forza Horizon 4, I'll get sound during some loading screens but then nothing the rest of the game. I've checked pretty much every driver I have and all seem to be up to date and don't have more recent options. I've also checked basic sound settings and yes my sound is on and turned up. It's very frustrating so just trying to see what you guys may know. If you need any more info on the situation feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks

Edit: At some point I reinstalled an audio driver and it helped for a little but then it happened again. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019
Are your front panel audio connectors attached to the motherboard headers? If attached, try removing them to see if it makes a difference.

They are, but I moved the audio and mic plugs into the back inputs, straight into the motherboard, cause I thought that may be a problem. Seems like it happens less often but still happening.

Cause another way to fix it temporarily would be to just unplug and replug and the ROG sound stuff would come up.

Jun 15, 2019
USB connectors attach to different headers and will work afterward. You only want to remove the audio connectors. Re-installing drivers should not be required.

So I turned my computer off last night and before turning it on, I removed the audio headers.

(https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf ) Number 21 on pages 1-2 and 1-3. Just to make sure I have it right.

Anyways, I turned it back on and just started forza as a test and no change... bummer. Thought that may work because it does sort of feel like there are multiple outputs and that it's just all spread around. Even though my headset is default one and I've set it to it.

Any other suggestions? I do live by a micro center so worst case, I'll bring it into them to see if they have any ideas.

Jun 15, 2019
So I turned my computer off last night and before turning it on, I removed the audio headers.

(https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...14808_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf ) Number 21 on pages 1-2 and 1-3. Just to make sure I have it right.

Anyways, I turned it back on and just started forza as a test and no change... bummer. Thought that may work because it does sort of feel like there are multiple outputs and that it's just all spread around. Even though my headset is default one and I've set it to it.

Any other suggestions? I do live by a micro center so worst case, I'll bring it into them to see if they have any ideas.

If I'm not supposed to post links (cause I know some sites frown upon it) it's just the manual to my motherboard. ROG Maximus X Hero. Thanks...