[SOLVED] Spanning a volume to two SSDs?

random1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
My PC is very space limited with two pretty old SSDs.

I'm considering spanning a volume onto another disk using Disk Management in Windows 10 Pro, having never done it before.

I'd be doing this so that I can install PC games that are larger than 100GB. Currently I can only install games of 65GB or less on C Drive.

My Current Setup:

Image Example - Disk Management

I'll make sure to create a full system image of all volumes beforehand.

Can I create a spanned volume by extending the C Drive partition to D Drive while keeping the OS intact?

Any other tips for this? Thanks :D

Solution
A much better idea would be to bite the bullet and clear some space. Making a spanned volume for this purpose makes little sense; you've already overstuffed the one SSD as it is. You ideally want to leave 25% empty and certainly more than 10% on an SSD because of the way SSDs manage their space as they age.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A much better idea would be to bite the bullet and clear some space. Making a spanned volume for this purpose makes little sense; you've already overstuffed the one SSD as it is. You ideally want to leave 25% empty and certainly more than 10% on an SSD because of the way SSDs manage their space as they age.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
2 SSD's
120GB and 64GB.

Neither of which are viable sizes in 2020.

Even if you were to span those, you'd still only have 55GB free.
And of course, you can't actually use that 55GB. You current C drive is already at "Do Not Exceed" that consumed space.

Time to reach into the wallet and buy some new drive space.