Speakers and headphones play audio at same time - IDT Audio Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaticanslayer

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I recently built a computer for my sister and my niece. It works well enough for all that they do on it. Stats:

AMD X4 9600 CPU
2GB OCZ Plat Ram
ECS A740GM-M motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows XP Pro

But my sister told me about a problem with it. She brought it to me and I'm stumped. The computer plays audio from the speakers as well as the headphones (when it is plugged into the front panel). All computers i've ever built or used, when you plug in the headphones in the front panel, it takes over and sound will only go through the headset.

The motherboard, the ECS A740GM-M was my first ECS board and will likely be my last. I can't tell if it's at fault but right now I'm thinking it is unable to do AC97 audio (front panel = AC97) and the motherboard's audio is IDT High Definition Audio Driver.

I've downloaded the newest IDT drivers available (version 115, 2009/06/10) for XP from ECS's website and installed it, that didn't do anything.

The control panel of the IDT drivers is pretty bad. It has an option in the IDT CP to 'enable AC97' support, implying the motherboard *does* support the AC97 FP but enabling it doesn't change anything - sound still pours through both speakers and headset.

The IDT control panel also has an option to mute rear audio ports - which works to mute the speakers and allow only the headphones to play audio, but when you unplug the headset the back speakers stay muted until you undo the change in the IDT control panel, rendering it near useless (might as well turn off the speakers manually at that point).

So does anyone have any clue to this weird problem? :-D

Solution
Pretty much this is all working as intended. Unless there is a configuration option in the control panel that specifically states that it will disable other audio ports when you plug into the front jack, it will simply stream sound to it along with the other enabled ports.

Windows itself might have some sort of option but it looks like you might be SOL with the IDT CP.

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Pretty much this is all working as intended. Unless there is a configuration option in the control panel that specifically states that it will disable other audio ports when you plug into the front jack, it will simply stream sound to it along with the other enabled ports.

Windows itself might have some sort of option but it looks like you might be SOL with the IDT CP.

Solution

vaticanslayer

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Thanks.. and you are likely right. Last ECS board for me -_-

asitha

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
hi all i think this is a bug in the IDT Audio Driver. i had the same with my new hp 615.
and i have a solution v simple.

uninstall the IDT from the add remove programs.
and restart. windows will detect the HD audio device and will install a generic hd audio device. and this works great..!
we will have to wait for some time untill IDT see this as a bug.

Asitha Weerasinghe
Sri lanka

G

Sau khi đọc lá thư của bạn và tất cả các câu trả lời, tôi nghĩ rằng: Vấn đề này có thể được không phải từ phần cứng hoặc phần mềm, nó có thể đến từ phía trước lỗ-jack (trong dòng cho tai nghe). Bên trong lỗ-jack, nó có một ba cách (stereo): còn lại, phải, mặt đất và chuyển đổi 1. Xem bằng Tiếng Anh này sẽ lần lượt nói ra khi bạn cắm jack bất kỳ nhập
Xin lỗi, tôi là Việt Nam để có thể được tiếng Anh của tôi không tốt. Hãy để bạn cố gắng để hiểu được. Bye!

G

Hi!!! After I read your IDT audio's problem, I think: It's was not com from hardware or software, it simple comes from the Line out jack-hole of front panel (headset). Normally, any jack used for headset or speakers is stereo. It has 3 ways: left-speaker, right-speaker, ground. However, with the headset jack, it was add 1 switch. This switch will be turn all of speakers off when you plug any jack in. It means: your switch (on computer) was failed. Let you try to replace another switch.

Jesse_55

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks Asitha, I was knocking my head against a wall trying to get speakers to work on an xps and I did what you sugested about deleting sound drivers and letting windows load generic ones and now it works great. Go figure!

Jesse Cox
Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.