Question Spectrum internet freezes but doesn't disconnect, happens for 10-20 seconds and keeps me from playing games reliably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2021
Hello, hoping I can find an answer here.

My internet, provided by spectrum keeps me from having a consistent gaming experience because of it dropping/freezing every so often. I have tried almost everything at this point to try and fix it. I have had them come out and give us a new modem, access points (one of which I am connected to via ethernet, CAT 5e), new outside cables and terminations into the house, as well as new coaxial. They ran tests and said everything is fine. I previously had a problem with not getting the advertised speeds (only on my pc), and later finding out that it was a bungled cable. Ok, replaced that. Now it's this issue with disconnecting mid-game that is giving me gray hair. I tried running a 100' ethernet cord directly from my modem into my pc but couldn't run any real world tests because my mom screamed to get rid of the cord. Oh well. Speeds are fine, 200-230 down and about 20-30 up.

The issue is this; playing a game (hunt:showdown to be exact) and i'll be running around with my friends, then all of a sudden their playermodels freeze, I start running in place, my character rubberbands a bit, and my Discord stops transmitting all audio. Windows doesn't show the little globe icon for "no internet" and task manager shows that NOTHING, I mean 0/0 internet is being used in the middle of an online game and voice chat. Yeah right. It does this guaranteed once a day if I played every day consistently, and for about 10-30 seconds I can't do anything internet wise. It even happens while not in games; and I can notice it because surfing the web becomes more sluggish than normal, videos don't load, etc.

I really need some help before I send my PC flying through a window or something... Kidding of course, but seriously I cannot narrow anything down.

Fixes I've tried;

rebooted everything
unplugged/replugged
new cables
new modem/access points
tests out the wazoo
changed IP address lease time (someone said to change this to 24 hours instead of hourly, because it could cause the ip to change mid-game?)
turned off ethernet power saving in windows
tests and more tests
direct link to modem seemed ok, but couldn't confirm.

Again, I am plugged in to an access point provided by spectrum. Any questions and answers are appreciated.

Aug 26, 2021
30 second run time, 2249 sent, 2249 received. 33ms latency with 1.7ms jitter. Says 0% loss but I can't help but believe that it doesn't tell the right story. Maybe run it for a while longer? Appreciate the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS