[SOLVED] Spilled thermal paste on pci connector tabs...

Aug 20, 2021
So long story short i was dumb enough to spill thermal paste on my gpus connector tabs. I thought I'll just clean it with alcohol and it will be fine, I cleaned it, plugged it in, started my pc up and then these weird horizontal lines started to appear on my screen, I swapped to another card and everything seemed fine there, so what am i supposed to do now? Should I try to clean it again? My system is a RTX 2070S, I5-9600k and 16 gigs of RAM.

Solution
Hey, thanks for the advice I'll give it a try tomorrow since I can't really buy the items I need rn. Btw i cleaned it with some 70% alcohol. Also do you see any chance for the card to work properly again?

Hey,

What 70% did you use. If the other ingredients were just water than it should be fine.

Hmmm. Hard to know about card. The paste should just wipe off pretty easily when you clean it, and so I'd expect the card to work again. Maybe consider cleaning the PCI slots with some compressed air or even a swab with ISO to ensure those contacts are also clean. Just be careful with application.
Aug 20, 2021
Hey there,

What did you clean it with? You should lint free dry wipes with Isopropyl 99% to clean it well. Allow some air time after wiping for the Iso to evaporate and try again.
Hey, thanks for the advice I'll give it a try tomorrow since I can't really buy the items I need rn. Btw i cleaned it with some 70% alcohol. Also do you see any chance for the card to work properly again?

Hey,

What 70% did you use. If the other ingredients were just water than it should be fine.

Hmmm. Hard to know about card. The paste should just wipe off pretty easily when you clean it, and so I'd expect the card to work again. Maybe consider cleaning the PCI slots with some compressed air or even a swab with ISO to ensure those contacts are also clean. Just be careful with application.

Solution