[SOLVED] SSD Doesn't show up in BIOS

Feb 4, 2021
Wanting to install an additional SSD the Samsung 870 EVO 1TB. However, plugging in the new SSD it doesn't show up anywhere on my PC. I've tried: different SATA cables, different SATA ports, updating BIOS, updating all drivers, enabling all SATA ports in BIOS, making sure ACHI is on, the whole nine yards. I've even tried unplugging my existing SSD and plugging in the new one using that same cable, and strangely enough it doesn't show up then either. Finally, I returned the new SSD and got a replacement and the problem persists, so the problem must be with my PC. Any recommendations?

( Also, I have an MSI mother and I have a 240gb with my OS on it and an 950gb HDD with random things on it. )
( MB MSI B360 A-PRO , CPU Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz )

Last edited:
Wanting to install an additional SSD the Samsung 870 EVO 1TB. However, plugging in the new SSD it doesn't show up anywhere on my PC. I've tried: different SATA cables, different SATA ports, updating BIOS, updating all drivers, enabling all SATA ports in BIOS, making sure ACHI is on, the whole nine yards. I've even tried unplugging my existing SSD and plugging in the new one using that same cable, and strangely enough it doesn't show up then either. Finally, I returned the new SSD and got a replacement and the problem persists, so the problem must be with my PC. Any recommendations?

( Also, I have an MSI mother and I have a 240gb with my OS on it and an 950gb HDD with random things on it. )
Which MSI "mother" ? There were some incompatibility reports with some MSI MBs and 860 evo drives. Not sure about 870.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I see, it supports 16 pci-e lanes, so quite adequate, unless you have tonnes of hdd in there. Have you spoken to MSI?

Sometimes the mobo bios disables the drive by default, have you searched in bios where you can switch this on?

Feb 4, 2021
I haven't gone to MSI yet, and in my BIOS the only setting pertaining to SATA is the ability to "enable" or "disable" them. Quite strange, even if I unplug all other storage and just try the new SSD, it still doesn't show up.