Question SSD lag after short period of inactivity in Explorer

eddified

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
I have the Acer Predator GM7000 4TB NVMe SSD.

The issue is that of extreme lag on first use. After a [short] period of inactivity, when I create a new empty folder, for instance, the new folder doesn't show up for a long time -- several seconds. There is some serious lag there. I often have to hit "refresh" to get the new folder to show up. I've even had Windows Explorer say "not responding" on me. Once it starts responding, ie, after first use, then it seems to do just fine after that until after the next short period of inactivity. I can close the Explorer window entirely (so nothing is using the drive), wait a few seconds, then open Windows Explorer on the drive and try to create a new folder again, and easily duplicate the issue.

But, the CrystalDiskMark benchmark appears to run just fine. It seems to be an inactivity issue only. How can I tell if this is a windows thing or a problem with the drive? I'm still within the Amazon return window, but I'm not sure if ordering a new one would even help. What should I do? Is there a windows setting I can check?

kOiKCkm.png

This is on Windows 11, custom built PC with all new parts, built less than 2 months ago. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/8CVcCJ

I have the Acer Predator GM7000 4TB NVMe SSD.

The issue is that of extreme lag on first use. After a [short] period of inactivity, when I create a new empty folder, for instance, the new folder doesn't show up for a long time -- several seconds. There is some serious lag there. I often have to hit "refresh" to get the new folder to show up. I've even had Windows Explorer say "not responding" on me. Once it starts responding, ie, after first use, then it seems to do just fine after that until after the next short period of inactivity. I can close the Explorer window entirely (so nothing is using the drive), wait a few seconds, then open Windows Explorer on the drive and try to create a new folder again, and easily duplicate the issue.

But, the CrystalDiskMark benchmark appears to run just fine. It seems to be an inactivity issue only. How can I tell if this is a windows thing or a problem with the drive? I'm still within the Amazon return window, but I'm not sure if ordering a new one would even help. What should I do? Is there a windows setting I can check?

kOiKCkm.png

This is on Windows 11, custom built PC with all new parts, built less than 2 months ago. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/8CVcCJ
Are your Windows newly installed and up to date ? Recently they had problems as you describe but it was supposedly fixed.