[SOLVED] SSD not recognized in Device Manager or Disk Management

Aug 29, 2021
Hello… I have a Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD and I wanted to install it as a second storage. It’s 1tb. I know that my motherboard is compatible with it, I tried every sata port, it appears without any trouble in BIOS in any sata port. When I want to initialize it it doesn’t appear in Device manager nor in Disk management.
What is the problem? The OS is on a NVme Kingston 500gb. The only thing that appears in device manager under disk drives is that kingston. The RAID controller appears under “other device” with a yellow icon. Is that the problem? Or what?

PS: I have a GIGABYTE B560M DS3H with an Intel Core i5-10600kf 4.1. Everything works just right in the computer, I just wanted to attach another storage but I can’t. I have been reading about the storage mode and I saw that in my BIOS it is default set to RST and that the SATA SSD has an AHCI. Is that the issue? Will switching to AHCI resolve this?

Solution
Hello… I have a Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD and I wanted to install it as a second storage. It’s 1tb. I know that my motherboard is compatible with it, I tried every sata port, it appears without any trouble in BIOS in any sata port. When I want to initialize it it doesn’t appear in Device manager nor in Disk management.
What is the problem? The OS is on a NVme Kingston 500gb. The only thing that appears in device manager under disk drives is that kingston. The RAID controller appears under “other device” with a yellow icon. Is that the problem? Or what?

PS: I have a GIGABYTE B560M DS3H with an Intel Core i5-10600kf 4.1. Everything works just right in the computer, I just wanted to attach another storage but I can’t. I have been reading...

PS: I have a GIGABYTE B560M DS3H with an Intel Core i5-10600kf 4.1. Everything works just right in the computer, I just wanted to attach another storage but I can’t. I have been reading about the storage mode and I saw that in my BIOS it is default set to RST and that the SATA SSD has an AHCI. Is that the issue? Will switching to AHCI resolve this?
Hello and welcome

you can try diskpart, here is a tutorial

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Thank you for answering!! Unfortunately, I already tried this but the list only contains my main kingston and the crucial doesn’t appear there either…
Ok, in that case i would go ahead and change the boot mode to ahci in the bios

NOTE: it's possible that this borks your boot partition, untill you change it back to RST (Rapid Storage Technology)

What i would suggest:

create boot stick for testing (won't take too long)

reboot

set ahci in bios

boot from the hiren stick (this is a miniature win 10)

check if both drives are detected correctly now

if yes:
Leave bios on AHCI
you probably have to reinstall windows on one of your drives
(long story short, changing the boot mode affects the bootpartion on your drive, if you reinstall it will adjust to your current boot mode)

if no:
do try the mx500 in another pc/laptop to see what it does there

Let us know how it went :)

Last edited:
Reactions: elien90
Aug 29, 2021
That sounds so complicated :)) but thank you! I have also looked around and there’s a method to change it to ahci without reinstalling windows again, do you think that one is safe?

the reason why I am asking is because I had trouble with windows the first three times and I barely made it work perfectly :))) I am afraid to lose it

Last edited:
That sounds so complicated :)) but thank you! I have also looked around and there’s a method to change it to ahci without reinstalling windows again, do you think that one is safe?

the reason why I am asking is because I had trouble with windows the first three times and I barely made it work perfectly :))) I am afraid to lose it
no IT savy friends/family nearby?

Aug 29, 2021
no IT savy friends/family nearby?
unfortunately not… I will see what I can do with your method! If not, I will return the Crucial and just go on with my life with the kingston I suppose. Thank you so much for answering, it really helped at least understanding the problem.
if I may ask, why do you have to switch to Ahci to be able to use the sata? I have been reading on the other mode, the Rst, and it more or less does the same? I’m confused at the multitude of modes and etc

unfortunately not… I will see what I can do with your method! If not, I will return the Crucial and just go on with my life with the kingston I suppose. Thank you so much for answering, it really helped at least understanding the problem.
if I may ask, why do you have to switch to Ahci to be able to use the sata? I have been reading on the other mode, the Rst, and it more or less does the same? I’m confused at the multitude of modes and etc
Good luck, it's easier then it looks though :)

Concerning the boot options in bios (ahci/eufi/etc)

i'd suggest reading up/googling if you are interested :p

https://superuser.com/questions/496026/what-is-the-difference-in-boot-with-bios-and-boot-with-uefi

the TLDR would be that they all represent different modes, which each have a set of parameters which are situation dependant

e.g. do you need raid, do you have a legacy product you need supported, is the pc being used as a controller for a machine etc etc etc

good luck, let me know how it went or if you need help between the steps

Aug 29, 2021
Good luck, it's easier then it looks though :)

Concerning the boot options in bios (ahci/eufi/etc)

i'd suggest reading up/googling if you are interested :p

https://superuser.com/questions/496026/what-is-the-difference-in-boot-with-bios-and-boot-with-uefi

the TLDR would be that they all represent different modes, which each have a set of parameters which are situation dependant

e.g. do you need raid, do you have a legacy product you need supported, is the pc being used as a controller for a machine etc etc etc

good luck, let me know how it went or if you need help between the steps
Awesome!! Thank you so much again for taking the time to write these. I will see what I can do today or this week and report back.
thank you!! :)

Reactions: Quanticriver

Some reading.
https://www.mysysadmintips.com/wind...om-raid-to-ahci-without-re-installing-windows

It's quick/easy I've done it on this machine it worked........ymmv.

Solution