[SOLVED] Ssd Raid for Home Media Server

Dec 13, 2020
I have a home media server running Mezzmo on a pc not on a naz.
It has 2 5tb 2.5" drives
It runs on a samsung evo m.2 ssd.

The problem is when copying files from my main pc to the server connected via (fiber so there is no speed limitations there) it is to slow.

I am wondering if i can raid my 512 sata ssd and 220 sata ssd and partition the main one to the same size.
So would be
1 220 ssd
And 1 521 with a 220 partion in raid

And would i be able to use that raid as an ssd cache

Last edited:
Solution
No, the only way that you could get an SSD cache for motherboard based RAID is to use Intel RST and the cache size limit is only 64GB and not terribly useful. Also, it only works with a single drive, not two or more and not as a member of the array.

Newer hardware RAID controllers allow for SSDs to be used to cache and speed data transfers but they are outside the scope of what you are doing ($$$).

RealBeast

Titan
No, the only way that you could get an SSD cache for motherboard based RAID is to use Intel RST and the cache size limit is only 64GB and not terribly useful. Also, it only works with a single drive, not two or more and not as a member of the array.

Newer hardware RAID controllers allow for SSDs to be used to cache and speed data transfers but they are outside the scope of what you are doing ($$$).

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I have a home media server running Mezzmo on a pc not on a naz.
It has 2 5tb 2.5" drives
It runs on a samsung evo m.2 ssd.

The problem is when copying files from my main pc to the server connected via (fiber so there is no speed limitations there) it is to slow.

I am wondering if i can raid my 512 sata ssd and 220 sata ssd and partition the main one to the same size.
So would be
1 220 ssd
And 1 521 with a 220 partion in raid

And would i be able tk use thag raid as an ssd cache
"The problem is when copying files from my main pc to the server connected via (fiber so there is no speed limitations there) it is to slow. "

"connected via fiber"
Can you give us some details on this connection?

And no, you can't do a RAID 0 with a 512GB drive and a 220GB drive.
That results in a RAID 0 array of 440GB.

Dec 13, 2020
"The problem is when copying files from my main pc to the server connected via (fiber so there is no speed limitations there) it is to slow. "

"connected via fiber"
Can you give us some details on this connection?

And no, you can't do a RAID 0 with a 512GB drive and a 220GB drive.
That results in a RAID 0 array of 440GB.
Both pc have a fiber lan card connecing them what about using just one ssd in primo cache or something similar what is the best way to boost write speeds no matter what risk

USAFRet

Titan
Both pc have a fiber lan card connecing them what about using just one ssd in primo cache or something similar what is the best way to boost write speeds no matter what risk
What is the actual throughput between your PC and the server?
"no speed limitation" is not a number.

Also, performance depends on the slowest device in the chain. You can have the uberest cache RAID thing, but if it is being fed by a spinning HDD....that is all you will ever get.

popatim

Titan
Also, performance depends on the slowest device in the chain. You can have the uberest cache RAID thing, but if it is being fed by a spinning HDD....that is all you will ever get.

THIS!!!

You only move as fast as the slowest device in the chain.
If that is the HDD's in the 'sever' then a write cache would serve you well but be sure to have a battery backup on it.
If the slow device is in your PC, replace it with an SSD.