May 13, 2019
So, I recently built a PC and Installed Ubuntu 18.04 on it. I realized that the speed from turning on the PC to loaded OS took around 30 seconds, so I did SSD benchmark and the results showed slower writing speed, but even whit the speed it showed I don't think it has to load that slow, that's the reason why I bought a new PC to load faster than my oldest one.

SSD's specifications:
Sequential Read: 3,5 GB/s
Sequential Write: 3,3GB/s

First Test -
Timing cached reads: 20272 MB in 2.00 seconds = 10147.66 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 512 MB in 0.18 seconds = 2872.19 MB/sec

Second Test -
Average Read Rate: 3,4 GB/s (100 samples)
Average Write Rate: 776,2 (100 samples)

Writing Test -
1073741824 bytes (1,1 GB, 1,0 GiB) copied, 0,829127 s, 1,3 GB/s

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Nvidia GT 1030
RAM: Adata XPG 2x8 3000MHz
MDB: MSI b450 pro m2 v2
PSU: Seasonic 520w Bronze 80+
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Wow - same speed as my sata SSD's in starting up Windows. If ubuntu is the only OS then you can enable fast boot in the bios.
So, SSD's performance isn't causing the problem of the slow OS loading, I forgot to mention that, this is my first time using Ubuntu and I quite didn't know loading would take that much time.

D

Deleted member 14196

Since when is 20s load time slow? If I didn’t have fast boot enabled it would take me at least that long for windows

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
So, SSD's performance isn't causing the problem of the slow OS loading, I forgot to mention that, this is my first time using Ubuntu and I quite didn't know loading would take that much time.
Nope, unfortunately not. I'm running Kubuntu 19.04 (which unites KDE & the gorgeous Plasma desktop) on a brand new, recently finished a build. Kubuntu is the only OS & it's installed on a WD Blue 3D NAND SSD and I think it takes something like 20 seconds or so to fully boot. I've never really timed it, but now I think maybe I should.

I don't think that any Ubuntu or GNU/Linux will boot as fast as Windows. Some lighter distros, such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu, may load faster than others. On the other hand, there's the option have your last session loaded at boot, something Windows doesn't do. Win 10 supposedly does, but it doesn't execute it well, so it may as well not have it. For me, when I boot into Kubuntu & that beautiful Plasma desktop loads up, the CPU Monitor widget, Memory Status widget & Psensor program are already up without me having to do anything. If for instance I had the Terminal active, it too would be up next time, in whatever state it was in when I shut down.

Since Kubuntu is based off of Ubuntu you may have this option, then again if you don't have this option, it is likely exclusive to the Plasma desktop.
Now, that feature is enabled by default & it has been reported that turning it can result in reduced boot/load times. It may or may not for you. Here's how:
Go to System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Desktop Session.
Under Default Leave Option Select "End current Session" & under On Login, select "Start with an empty session"
Click Apply (if available) then close System Settings.

If that doesn't work, try switching from "End current session" to "Turn off computer" in Default Leave Option.

Good luck.