Starting to buy the components for my Q9450/9550. U guys help?

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Been reading you guys forever and you guys are great. You guys seem to be the main dudes in the puter world so if you guys can't help me noone can!

I'm going to buy either a Q9450 or if I can squeze out the extra dollars go for the Q9550 on Jan 20.

First of all, I read some s**t about these Yorkfeilds being delayed. Any news on that?

If they're still coming out then on that date, then let's go ahead and check this out.

I want to buy a bunch of the components in the after Christmas sales. I figure some hot sales will be on and I can realy save some money. Then I can just set them aside and look at them for a month and say how nice they are.

I use my system for the usual web surfing, OpenOffice, and all the regular stuff. Why I need the big power is because I want to get into 3D rendreing of custom choppers for clients and I want to watch good quality but not necesarily hidef videos on 1920x1200.

I am defenitely going to oc but just an easy oc. I want to run high end air like a U120 and I just want snapy performance, I'm not trying to win contests. So say a Q9450 to 3GHz or bigger bro at 3.2GHz or so.

I've oc'd lots of motorcycle engines but I cant find out where to install the hot cam on the CPU :pt1cable:

So where do I get easy stepbystep instructions that a guy like me can actualy understnand even on a Sunday morning after an all nite beer bash to how to oc. Remember easy oc. Nothing too crazy high as I want this system to be stabel and last last last last last....

So let's talk mothreboards. Just want to have 4 RAM slots. Maybe stick with P35. i cant see how X38 is worth the money for me. Don't need no fancy nothing. Just the basics.

Video card the 8800 GT seems to be a nobrainer and that is me to a T. I dont want to get into a big AMD fight but I am not going 3870 since I dont trust AMD with the s**t they pulled lately. Any otehr Nvidia suggestions?

Want to run 4GB RAM and I would rather it be 2x2GB so I can stick in two more sticks later. I'm goign to run Vista 64. Don't know which version yet. I have Business 32 on my current PC and Home Premium 32 on my laptop and I can't tell the f***ing difference.

What do you guys think of that Spinpoint? better to go with the 7200.11? I would put in one big one and one little one for criticle backups.

From what I've read the U120 rules. Any other cooler suggestions? The system is going in a custom case the size of a cofin so no size restrictions the bigger the beter.

I don't need a PSU that will crank over a Shovelhead in the snow. Just a regular affordable stabel one.

I want a reasonable sound card. Or if the motherboard has a good onborad one that's fine. I'd also like suggestions on a good set of speakers in the $60 range.

I would really like to buy evreything from the canadian side of ncix.com that way I save on shipping one little piece from TO and anotehr from Van etc. Otherwise I can go with directcanada.com or pccanada.com

Just while we're at this, how the f*** do you kill that f***ing Password Manager? Everything I've tried doesnt work.

If I can return the favor by helping you guys out with a chopper build or advice on sick oldskool rides let me know. Be happy to help you back!

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
There are Stickys on the OC forum on this site that should make stuff very clear on how to oc. I would get a p35 mobo like you stated. I wouldnt waste money on a sound card. On board sound is fine for what you said the machine is for. Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System - OEM are 55 bucks and seem to be good. i have the x230 system and im pleased with them. I only use the speakers to play back music and watch a movie on the pc. Nothing fancy.

And whats this password manager? I havent used vista since RTM i and dont recall a password manager in it or in anything else for that matter. User login screen maybe?

OldSkool - A P35 mobo sounds like what you need. Ditto on the 8800GT.

One thing you might think of is going with a Q6600 processor instead of the 9400/9550 - It'll overclock to 3.2Ghz on near stock voltages/temps (CPU multi of 8, 400 FSB, DDR2 800 RAM: which you can buy 2x2GB no problem), and save you a nice chunk of cash doing it.

Regarding a HDD - I'm loving my 7200.11. Fast and quiet. I don't have direct experience with the Spinpoint.

{Edit} I am running Vista 64, and like it a lot. A lot of people claim to have had all kinds of issues with it, but I havn't had any. Just the pop up permissions annoyance. Just make sure your graphics software runs on it first.

BTW - I like V~twins, too. So when I'm in the twisties on my Aprilia, I promise I'll wave on the way by. :D Not that you'll have much choice in the matter, or anything ;) <gentle ribbing, served up w/ a smile>

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Actually, the Q6600 will likely not save alot of cash.
The Q9400 will actually have a default clock for 2.5 vs 2.4 and have a tray price list of $16 less than the Q6600.

Mind you, I expect the price to be a bit higher the first couple weeks.
So long as your Mobo can handle for FSB, it will OC much higher.

There is not any delay, the release date is still Jan. 20th.

Basically, the delay is just something made up by a few AMD fanboys who are crying. (I can't understand fanboyism. When AMD was better I bought AMD. Now I buy Intel. I'm BetterCPU Fanboy myself.)

Consider Something like DDR2-1000 since you need a high FSB to OC the 1333FSB chips.

Good Deal here for the faster 2x2gb RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052315794+1052417523&name=DDR2+1000+(PC2+8000)

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Someguy7 thanks for the tip on the X530. Looks like a good system from the specs I've just checed out and the price is right. The Password manager is the single most infuriating POS in Vista. Everytime you go to fill in your passowrd in any webpage it asks you if you want to store it in password manager and when you say yes you have to go through administrative permissions then get to a box where I cant figure out what to do with and i get this mad urge to ride to Redmond and b***hslap Bill.

Scotteq I'm going to go with the Yorks because I don't mind waiting about three weeks until after i get my other components before I get the CPU and I want the zoomy new 45nm. I know that the perf diff is not huge but what the hell, I want the new stuff. I've heard lots of good things abut the 7200.11s but the new Spins seem to have put Samsung at the top of the heap real fast and the price diff seems to be very small. i havent had any probs with Vista either. It's slower than a Knucklehead going up Pike's Peak, but that's the fault of my POS Pentium D and mostly the 1GB RAM which is just not enugh. Italian bikes? You might wave as you go by, but I'll pass you soon enough when you're broken down on the side of the road with a dropped valve! <gentle ribbing right back at ya with a broad HOG smile>

zemaster I'm now thnking that I'm going to scrimp on my girlfriends present (dont tell her I said this or she'll kill me) but I may be leaning towards the Q9550. 2.86 GHz is damn near the 3 of the $1200 Q9650 that's out now and for less than half the price. I'll be wiling to pay some sort of first guy on the block premium to get it. Not too much, but $600 to $650 and I'll own it. I've owned Intel and AMD and they've both worked fine for me so I'm no fanboy either way. i agree with you that you should be a bettercpufanboy. It's hardly the great established brands of Harley or Honda vs. Chinese tin junk of Lifan or Daelim. I've never been clear on this. If the FSB is 1333 shouldn't I use use 1333 RAM? I know most people use the next step down but that's always been a mistery to me. 2x2s for $114! That's an amazing price, thanks!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
RAM Speeds are Quite Confusing.

The 1333FSB chips require DDR2667 to run at Normal Speed.
This is because the RAM is Dual Channel so you have two channels each running at 667 for a total speed of 1333.

The Q9450 @ 2.66 Ghz will be quite a bit cheaper than the Q9550 and you might find that a better deal.

The Q9450 Runs @ 2.66 Ghz with a FSB of 1333.
A FSB of 1333=DDR2667.

If you run the Chips at Full DDR2-1000 Speeds, it will result in a final clock of 3.99Ghz which will be fairly high. 3.8Ghz may be a more comfortable speed for this chip. This would be something about DDR2-950 speeds w/o me pulling up CALC again.

Most decent Mobos should be able to hit this. (This would be a FSB of 475 when you are looking at MOBO reviews. Yeah, I know its confusing.
But the Mobo speed is listed as 1/2 the speed of RAM which is 1/2 the speed of the Chip.

Mobo@333Mhz=DDR2667=1333FSB CPU=Sigh..............)

No Worries OldSkool... :D

Regarding RAM - The Front Side Bus is x4, while Memory is 2X. So 1333/4 = 333, 333*2 = 666. So you "Need" DDR2 667 RAM. If you're going to overclock, though, you should work out what your Front side bus is going to be at your intended target. Then buy RAM that's as fast or a little faster.

Oh - She's a 2001 SL1000 with 68K miles, and still pulling strong. No mechanical failures either, except for the time I installed new clutch plates in the wrong order, and when I got hit at a stop light by a drunk... Also - I was expecting the 'Fly In The Paint' jab, actually. :lol: Three cheers if you know what I'm referring to, and the first beer's on me.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Easiest thing to do would be target 400 MHz Bus. It gives you a 1600 MHz FSB, DDR2-800 RAM, and 3.2 GHz Q9450.

That should be plenty for your rendering. I wouldn't get anything less than DDR2-800 so I wouldn't have to worry about overclocking it.

Just about any P35 motherboard should be able to pull off the above specs. I would also get one with an ICH9R southbridge for Raid 0 (Means you get 2 hard drives which act as one, so in theory you get twice the read/write speeds).

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

Its easy to shut off the permisson crap. You can disable it in control panel under user accounts. Its called user account control.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
zenmaster, thanks for the lesson. I understand more now, but you're right in that it's confusing as hell.

Scotteq, the only thing I can figure is that Italians spray over flies when theyre painting the parts. I know a friend had an old Fiat 124 Spider and the factory paint job looked like it had been put on with a trowle.

cnumartyr I'm going to avoid Raid at all, except to spray on Scotteq's flies. I'm just going to use a big main drive and a littler one for backup. Not only am I concerned that if one drive goes south in a Raid0 you're toast (I know the same thing can happen to a single drive) but I don't want to budget fro another the extra drive.

roadrunner197069, I've disabled user accrap long ago. Password Manger is still there. Right in my system tray and whenever I go onto any site witha password box. Can't kill the b***h no matter what i do.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Password manager in systemtray? Sounds like some crap ware you downloaded. Windows passwords can be turned of in internet options, content, autocomplete, settings. If you have one in the taskbar more then not it is some crapware from a google toolbar or something. I'm not sure I never use tool bars like that. But Im sure you can delete what ever it is in control panel. Or disable it through msconfig.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
You're absolutely right. When you mentioned that I started digging through the damn thing and found out that it's somthing that Lenovo puts down in all their computers. That was I was able to uninstall it from the control panel. Another good reason to never buy a Lenovo! What a POS! Thank you roadrunner! Beepbeep! (personaly I'm a Cuda man myself!)

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Mopar rules dude. Too bad they never made a Hemi V-twin! I'd love to shoehorn that into a roller chasis!

OK, guys. Let me know what you think of this setup:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25369&vpn=GA-P35-DS3L&manufacture=Gigabyte

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27144&vpn=ST3500320AS&manufacture=Seagate

Galaxy GeForce 8800GT Overclocked 600MHZ 512MB 2.0GHZ DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out OEM Video Card
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26783&vpn=88YFF6HUFEXV&manufacture=Galaxy Techology

Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler LGA775 Heatsink *Fan Not Included* (but with a 120mm silent fan blowing out)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23531&vpn=ULTRA-120-EXTREME&manufacture=THERMALRIGHT

PSU no clue. PCP&C is supposed to be a good brand. Do you figure that a 470 is enough for my system?

PC Power & Cooling Ultra Quiet Silencer 470 ATX 470W ATX12V 24PIN 80MM 20-35DBA Fan Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18040&vpn=S47ATX&manufacture=PC Power & Cooling

Would doubling this to 8GB under Vista 64 really help or is it just wasting money?

G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26456&vpn=F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ&manufacture=G.SKILL

Please critiqe away! Remember I'd like to order everything from ncix to save shipping and hasle.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would go with the DS3R motherboard.

It has much better chipset cooling than the DS3-L board.
This should allow you to more easily hit higher FSB speeds.

With these new chips, you will want to make sure you have lots of FSB potential.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Can you imagine a 2009 Superbird? With the big wing and the droopnose? That woudl be a completely sick ride. The prb with the Challenger is that it's going to come in at $40K base! So much for ponycars! That's Mercedes teritory.

So this is the one to go with, right?

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24650&vpn=GA-P35-DS3R&manufacture=Gigabyte

How is the rest of the build? Any other probs? I really appreciate your help zenmaster and all!

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I prefer Asus boards myself. I have seen Gigabyte boards having all kinds of problems on these forums. Definately more then other manufacturers. Some Asus boards have Q-connector which is a nice little way to hook up your case wires. Makes it alot easier. And I like the fact you can change the Bios logo to whatever you want, as long as its a 800x600 bitmap.

I think Gigabyte has Face wizard or something to do it to but I'm not sure how it works.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Can't really rationallize an extra two bills for the maximus ex but I have read it's a great board. I'm just not that serious of an oc'er. I get 3.2 out of my Q9550 and I'm happy. I have to keep the system rock stabel and its gotta last me for the long haul so I can't take the slightest risk in shortening the CPUs life. Would the extra money for the 8800 GTS be worth it for my uses on the 1920x1200? From what I've read it seems that it's almost a wash with the GT. As for the Asus which reasonable one would you go with, P5K, P5K SE, or ?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Yes, that board is a little better.
Some of the Asus boards could be good too.

I've never really had any issue with Gigabyte.
Not a know against Asus, they are fine boards as well.