Steve Jobs says Adobe is Lazy and Google is Evil

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
All I have to say is until Apple puts truly competitive pricing on ANY of their products I will have to call bullshit on anything Apple says against another company.
The Iphone is no exception, as ANY phone is over priced. Even some of the most expensive phones such as the Droid or Google phone cost $170-$180 to manufacture.

G

you have to give kudos where it's due, what would the web be without flash, flash is a victim of it's own success having to constantly absorb new functionality and features and yet still remain backwards compatible... sure you could probably streamline flash, but at what cost, what is the acceptable cost of performance, would the web be as forgiving of a better behaved faster flash where by all content created by prior versions are incompatible

steve has to call Google evil, the Chinese will give him a bigger tax break if he does....

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i would have to agree, flash is dead, adobe is lazy. as far as the iphone goes, apple does not need to worry, they have so many apps, even if they don't sell any more iphones the apps will support them alone.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
almost forgot, i have a zune hd and it sucks compared to an itouch, the games are crap and MSoft is the only one developing, wtf? not to mention half the time the market does not work correctly and can't even log in to sink my games.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Steve,

Adobe, you mean that company that makes Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere and a lot of other programs that helped you stay alive while Apple was making some of the worst machines in history and which created a perception of superiority (in those areas) that last even now.

And Google, you mean that thing that everyone goes to for finding your products, and information about your products, and finding places to buy your products and see pictures and videos of you and your products.

Yeah, both totally suck. Couldn't agree more. /agressive_sarcasm

randomizer

Champion
Flash is not inherently bad. Flash implementations are shocking. When an entire website is Flash-based the fault is that of the web developer. Yes, there are security and stability issues with Flash, but there are also issues with Firefox, IE, Windows, OSX and the cost of fuel. That said, Jobs is right in that HTML5 is the way to go. Proprietary software like Flash slows down industry advancement, just as Windows and OSX do being closed source and proprietary.

However, the lack of HTML5 implementation right now and likely for most of 2010 means leaving Flash support out of the iPad was not the best decision Apple has ever made.

macclearly

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Flash is one of the most irrating inovations of the web and is almost single handedly responsible for making the web a much more obnoxious place. I personally don't like apple products myself as I am a tried and true PC guy. But I respect them for being innovative and different. In my professional life however I have encountered not one office that did not have a PC somewhere in it, but many without a Mac to be found. However if Mac (who has influence) is going to lead the charge against adopting html5 and start the boycott flash revelation (yes that is the word I wanted to use and not a spelling error) I am behind them one hundred and fifty-five and a half percent.

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]I don't think he has to worry about Google killing the iPhone, AT&T is doing a pretty good job of that on their own...[/citation]

true dat

totheshed

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]spiralsun1[/nom]Google IS evil -- they are taking over the internet and online libraries, now phones... and it was started by 2 Jews from Russia. Can you say "lets make the internet like Jewish Hollywood"?!? Google was also the first company to VOLUNTARILY censor their search results for other countries for things that are considered natural rights here -- without a fight -- because that's what they want. They want control over communications so they can censor them. So much for the blue ribbon free speech campaign on the internet. Google has to be stopped.[/citation]

Google may be taking over certain things but it doesn't mean they are doing it in an evil way. I don't really agree that they are. Sorry gave you a thumbs down for that, but I have to say it was pretty funny about the "two jews from russia" and making internet a "jewish hollywood" lmao

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]totheshed[/nom]Google may be taking over certain things but it doesn't mean they are doing it in an evil way.[/citation]
It doesn't mean they're not either. In the end, they are trying to make money. Google makes money by selling products. We are their products.

saikyan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
He's kind of right... Except about Flash causing Macs to crash. That's just silly.

However, you have to be pretty naive to think that Google honestly believes in "do no evil"

And Adobe? Adobe is a FAT CAT. They are incredibly lazy! Why shouldn't they be? They are maintaining a Microsoft-style monopoly on desktop publishing software and their attitude in increasingly hostile towards their users.

This guy is legendarily crass and straightforward. These sentiments should not be a surprise. I'm sure they aren't surprising to anyone at Adobe or Google.

cjw_sg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I don't think Steve Jobs is trying to sell iPad! This guy has vision. He is trying to sell books on Apple store and iPad is just his stepping board. His next grand move is signing up publishers to provide content on Apple Store. All books downloadable for only 99cts each! No flash, best viewed only on iPad. He is trying to revolutionised ebook lifestyle and only on iPad. Talk about evil. :)

ComputerNovice

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Flash seems plenty fine for me. Flashe GPU accelerated stuff is pretty lame at the moment. Flash nor Premiere pro NOR any other adobe product has ever give me a problem. But hey to each their own.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
If flash is so bad why has my pc not crashed in over 10 years?
I own my own computer business i fix pc's for a living and have never seen or heard about flash causing crashes on a pc only time it happens is when the flash program itself is corrupt and that is very rare.

I have only seen it 3 times and is not common, flash does not have the worst security record going internet explorer hands down they only patch major problems, if you are having problems with flash its not flash but spyware or it is corrupt if flash is bad as he makes it out i would have complaints from 100's of customers i had over the years.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
HTML5 FTW.

Do yourselves a favor and enable the HTML5 Beta in Youtube. Not only do you keep your CPU temps low, you encourage YouTube to implement it quicker.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Your Computer has crashed many times the past ten years, if you would stop drinking and put that Pipe
away you would actually see what's going on around you!

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]"Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it's because of Flash. No one will be using Flash," Steve says[/citation]
If Mac OS X crashes just because of Adobe Flash websites then Steve Jobs has bigger problems.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
With Nexus One opening to multiple providers, yes Nexus One will be the iPhone killer. Now as far as Adobe is concerned, yes, in fact I do think they are lazy! They are dragging their feet on a 64bit version of flash and it is crap!!! I personally think that Google has the man power to destroy Apple, and if provoked it will only be a matter of time before they do so. Jobs = Admiral Yamamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.