Steve Jobs says Adobe is Lazy and Google is Evil

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Steveo has all the people over at a certain 24/7 news network in the states, enamored so much that all they talk about is iPhone this iPad that... completely ignoring HP's new tablet, like it didn't exist. When reporters become so biased by something that they become advocates for one particular anything over another, they lose their objectivity and should be removed from the "Bully Pulpit".

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Adobe is lazy ha java is worse not only does java not make you uninstall it's older versions but it causes security problems leaving old versions sitting on your hard drive, they should force the user to or automatically update and remove all old versions.

A lot of customers i have have up to 13 versions on there pc each one eatting up 100+megs each sun is lazy that way and it is bad.

G

He is such a self centered person. He blames every one else. Except for Apple cult members who support such a closed ecosystem. Most of us know that Apple's huge profits come from selling mid grade products at high grade prices. This is nothing more then what Bose audio does or Sony for that matter. Its creating a image and taking advantage of the consumer.
Steve Jobs is the whole problem with Apple. He is too closed about the company and it actually hurts it. Yes, they have done well in some products. But their have been some real flops. The trouble with Steve is that he decides if you need something on a product or not. If he does not want it. Then its not on it. That's great when he's right. But many times he is not in touch with his user base. Remember this is the same guy who claimed the one button mouse would change the pointing device and Fire wire was better then USB. I think Apple made good products up until they dropped the Power PC chip and started to move product manufacturing to China. Now their quality is no better then Dell's and yet they continue to make more money.Why? Cheaper manufacturing.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it's because of Flash. No one will be using Flash," Steve says, adding that, "The world is moving to HTML5."
Ok, first of all I have never had a computer crash because of Flash, however, my experiences have been with PCs. I think it's just a poor excuse for a poor product.

The world is moving to HTML 5? true but not too many browsers are supporting it which means not too many websites are designed for it. HTML 5 is coming but that doesn't mean you ignore legacy technology that 75% of the web uses.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Calling names? Seems like the pot calling the kettle black a bit. Incredibly arrogant and self centered to claim smartphones as their own and not allow competitors. The entire world revolves around Steve Jobs' Apple products only in Steve Jobs' head. I guess if I had fawning overly zealous fans like Apple does it might go to my head too. So let me just say this Steve, get your head out of your ass and realize the sun doesn't shine out of your behind! Terrible mixed metaphor, but who gives a shit.

You know what's funny, I'm usually one of the one's defending apple against some of the responses I've read in this thread and similar ones...

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I am sure Steve had seen latest iPhone market share numbers and the trend is down.
Apple's iPhone Is Now Losing Market Share
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Doesn't matter if Flash is buggy or not, if 75% of the web use it, including ALL the major video and game site, shouldn't you find a way to make it work with your OS?Deciding unilaterally which website content your people use is no differant that China filtering content to it's citizens....[/citation]
Usually we don't see the thing from the same point of view, but this time I agree with you. It should be up to the user to decide. I would prefer HTML5, but some time I do need Flash.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]Calling names?[/citation]
To be expected I suppose.
Adobe critises Apple for denying users access to millions of webpages of content after it claims to have the best web experience.
In response Steve Jobs says:-
"Nya nya, you're ugly and smell"

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I think Google has more potential due to a less restrictive policy on their phone and software. If Apple doesn't want to open it up they need to at least match other offers and the Calendar and lack of ToDo management is clearly a ding in the iPhone's shiny armor while Apple refuses to let third party developers to help out.

Playing with the Droid, it think they're very similar and more of a personal choice. Having said that, I probably stick to the iPhone as I invested in a bunch of Apps and overall am very happy with it.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I'm a PC user all the way (64 bit windows) but even I have read enough about this on the web to realize that when he says Mac crashes he is referring to an application (browser) crash as the browser crashing will not bring down the entire system. The fact that you geniuses can't figure that out really makes me wonder why so many "I've worked in the computer industry ten years" or "I develop websites for a living" types on a site dedicated to computer hardware are so tech illiterate.

This is like me saying that I've used Nvidia cards for 15 years and never had a problem with them yet (on my 6th SLi rig now) and Microsoft is full of shit when they blamed Nvidia for Vista crashes because I have never had one single problem in 15 years. Really I have lots of problems with it, but nothing that leaves a lingering bad taste that would make me change, so I tend to not pay much attention to them. Driver stops then restarts and go back to doing what I was doing. Same thing that a LOT of flash users do, browser hangs and they close it and restart it, computer restores the last session and it might work that time and you go one and give it little thought.

G

I play flash games and watch flash movies a lot and windows never crash-ed .So go and fix that mac OS, and don't blame flash.As far as IPhone vs NEXUX ONE ,apple doesn't have a problem here because all stupid little kids and evryone that has little or no computer knowledge will buy Iphone because it's pretty.

G

Adobe used to be a respected company.

But in recent years they have gotten plain lazy.

Too lazy to give a damn about their own products.
Too lazy to provide quality support.
Too lazy to fix the security bugs in their own products.
Too damn lazy to even come out with a 64-bit flash player.
Too damn lazy to set the default java script setting in Adobe Reader & Acrobat to "Disabled" upon installation which would fix the biggest security hole.
Too damn lazy to even provide support for their own CS4 products with out blaming the customer 's computer for the problems.

They are nothing but lazy and you wonder why their products are constantly targeted.

No wonder why Steve Jobs called them Lazy.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Apple Almighty having the gall to call others "evil?" Now here is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black if there ever was one.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]I am sure Steve had seen latest iPhone market share numbers and the trend is down.Apple's iPhone Is Now Losing Market Share
Usually we don't see the thing from the same point of view, but this time I agree with you. It should be up to the user to decide. I would prefer HTML5, but some time I do need Flash.[/citation]
You haver a good point, HTML5 may well be better, but when USB came out Microsoft didn't unilaterally pull all support for serial or parallel.
This may actually backfire on Apple as well, if people associate the iPad with no Flash, then people realise it is the same as the iPhone, people may think twice before buying an iPhone.
People can deal with the occasional browser crash as long as they can watch "lolcats" on YouTube.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't understand how Steve thinks google is invading Apples turf by getting into the phone business. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. I guess then to be fair Apple should have stayed out of the music player business because that was sonys turf, and they shouldn't have gotten into the phone business because motorolla, LG and Palm were running that show. FYI, Competition is what keeps us innovative.

Steve, just be happy that you are mega successful and your company is mega successful. I get the feeling that you wont be happy unless, you are the king of everything.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Well he just sent the ipad to its grave.

I REFUSE TO BUY IT NOW because of NO FLASH SUPPORT!

so what.....HOW many years are we supposed to wait for HTML5?

gimme a break.......this is a deal breaker for me.

macclearly

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
If flash is so bad why has my pc not crashed in over 10 years?
I own my own computer business i fix pc's for a living and have never seen or heard about flash causing crashes on a pc only time it happens is when the flash program itself is corrupt and that is very rare.
This is an absolutely unbelievable statemtent in my opinion. I wonder if you are only going to non-flash websites? You tube crashes all the time because of Flash. This can't be an experience that only my customers and I have. If you were to talk to the guys at Mozilla and ask them about some of their top issues even with 3.6 you are going to hear that Flash is WAY up there. It is all over the internet and forums too. I do however have a computer that hasn't crashed in over six years, Windows 2003 and a part of the reason is that Flash is not installed.

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
[citation][nom]alexkitch[/nom]As much as I'm not a huge fan of Apple / Steve Jobs, he is right.Adobe ARE lazy (64-bit flash, anyone?), and Google ARE evil (very shady privacy policies and anticompetitive behaviour)[/citation]
I applaud anyone who releases in 64-bit. Its about time someone started, with 64 bit windows being out for years.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Independently, I think Apple is a successful business and despite any harshness surrounding their products AND this website I believe Apple will be just fine. They are innovative and everyone deserves a chance. The iPhone is a success, the iPod is a success and I am sure the i(whatever it'll be) will be a success despite any negative press about it. We shall see. Dispute all you want but it's time that will tell the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.