jeff

A friend just had 20 computers stolen from his office. Is there someone that
he can contact at MS that will be able to tell if those License numbers or
Product IDs are used again (for instance, to download updates)? I thought
this was one fo the features of the whole activation thing. Thanks very much
for any guidance you can give me on this.

No. Product Activation is private and cannot trace a computer's
whereabouts or usage.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Jeff wrote:
> A friend just had 20 computers stolen from his office. Is there
> someone that he can contact at MS that will be able to tell if those
> License numbers or Product IDs are used again (for instance, to
> download updates)? I thought this was one fo the features of the
> whole activation thing. Thanks very much for any guidance you can
> give me on this.

The "whole activation thing" is to keep you from stealing *from* Microsoft.
There is no tracking device or code.

--
<- Shenan ->

Jeff wrote:
> A friend just had 20 computers stolen from his office. Is there
> someone that he can contact at MS that will be able to tell if those
> License numbers or Product IDs are used again (for instance, to
> download updates)? I thought this was one fo the features of the
> whole activation thing. Thanks very much for any guidance you can
> give me on this.

Microsoft can't do this for you.
Did your friend's have good insurance?

Use Google to search on "tracking stolen computer". The following is but one
hit that is interesting:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-6263-5034632.html

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A friend just had 20 computers stolen from his office. Is there someone
>that
> he can contact at MS that will be able to tell if those License numbers or
> Product IDs are used again (for instance, to download updates)? I thought
> this was one fo the features of the whole activation thing. Thanks very
> much
> for any guidance you can give me on this.

Here is another one!
http://www.searchamateur.com/Spy-Stuff/Stolen-Computer-Retrieval.htm

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Use Google to search on "tracking stolen computer". The following is but
> one hit that is interesting:
>
> http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-6263-5034632.html
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>A friend just had 20 computers stolen from his office. Is there someone
>>that
>> he can contact at MS that will be able to tell if those License numbers
>> or
>> Product IDs are used again (for instance, to download updates)? I thought
>> this was one fo the features of the whole activation thing. Thanks very
>> much
>> for any guidance you can give me on this.

Thanks very much for the ideas. I just assumed that if people were
coming into MS to get updates, that MS was checking to make sure that
the software they were using was legal. And, if so, they could check
any Product ID's from a list of stolen ones...I would think that they
COULD do it, if they wanted to.
And then they could get the IP address...go to the provider, etc. Oh
well..thank you both for the links and I will look into them both.

Jeff

Richard Urban wrote:
> Here is another one!
> http://www.searchamateur.com/Spy-Stuff/Stolen-Computer-Retrieval.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,

> > Use Google to search on "tracking stolen computer". The following
is but
> > one hit that is interesting:
> >
> > http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-6263-5034632.html
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >
> > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >

> > "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>A friend just had 20 computers stolen from his office. Is there
someone
> >>that
> >> he can contact at MS that will be able to tell if those License
numbers
> >> or
> >> Product IDs are used again (for instance, to download updates)? I
thought
> >> this was one fo the features of the whole activation thing. Thanks
very
> >> much
> >> for any guidance you can give me on this.

Jeff;
Microsoft does check to make sure Windows is legal.
That generally means a valid Product Key.

The technology may be available to do as you suggest, but if Microsoft used
such technology, the groups watching for your privacy would be all over
Microsoft.
There are to many privacy concerns for Microsoft to take it upon themselves
to protect your property in such a way when there are 3rd party options.
If that type of security is important to you, there are 3rd party
alternatives you install yourself.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/