Strange Brown Screen of Death Problem, please help

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I have a new build that I have been running about 2 months now without any major problems. I have only had one crash and that was only because my first OC was alittle unstable. Current OC is soild and runs Orthos for 12 hours without a single error.

Now to the problem. While gaming every now and then all of the suddon my screen turns like a bright muddy yellowish brown and I have to restart my comp.

I suspect it has to do with one of two things because it started right after these changes I made about 5 days ago. The first which I dont think causes the problem is I added a new PWM fan to the CPU cooler that alows for piggy backing a second fan so I have two fans running on one fan header. Then second which I do suspect because it started happening a few hours after I installed the Vista 64bit edition ESET Smart Security. I did unistall my old Norton security so it shouln't be a conflict of that unless it left traces behind. It also has only seemed to happen while online in a game giving me further reason to suspect it.

Has anyone heard of anything like this, weird brown screen crashes? I have no idea how to trouble shoot this problem and I don't want to contact ESET support unless I am positive it is directly related to the ESET software.

agentsmith957

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Try uninstalling the security software and see if the problem continues if you suspect that is causing the problem. Otherwize I would suspect buggy graphics drivers or other driver conflict

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for the speedy replies.

If i uninstall the the ESET software should I be reinstalling the Norton trial since I have like 2 weeks left? I really don't want to be without internet security for a couple days and thats problay how long it would take to see if ESET was the problem, mabey longer because it isn't frequent. It's happened 3 times only since last thursday night, I installed ESET thursday afternoon.

If ESET were the problem would it be possible to fix it somehow? Since I purchased a years worth it would be a shame if I couln't even use it.

The OC isn't extream and has run flawless for almost a month now. 4000 Brisbane @ 2.8GHz and 1.40v, DDR2800 @ 2.2v

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007

I know its not temps because I monitor that closely and everything is good. But would the CPU fan header not being able to give enough juice really cause a problem like I am having?

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
well, just want to throw in something about norton..

removing norton (all symantec products actually) will always leave some parts behind.. even the complete removal tool from symantec's site does not remove all parts of liveupdate..

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Well thats just silly. You will survive a few days without the security.

If you are REALLY that worried, remove your computer from the network. You can still test your games....

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I think I narrowed it down to having a second monitor hooked up. Could be a driver problem with my 3850 which would be just fine cause I don't really need 2 displays going anyway. Been going thru trial and error and it seems to be the culprit so hopefully I have it resolved now.

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry to bump this year old topic but I have the same issue.
My games crash to a brown or purple screen with infinite sound loops, forcing me to restart.

I have only 1 monitor with a GTX260 sp216, the game I play is Left4Dead downloaded from steam.

My GPU idles around 55-60'C and peaks at 78'C

jlear3

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

bad input but.. BSD gets BrownSOD/PSOD

mag05003

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Same problem here - has slowly progressed to this point initially faking a failing monitor (but that doesn't cause a computer to lock up or crash in my limited experience).
Not a driver issue on my end - reformatted when I installed an old graphics card from another machine which is definitely not performing properly (computer screen remains out of range until Windows loads all its drivers).
In my case it's 100% the result of a failing graphics card and/or the computer being unable to handle said card. Sometimes occurs even with just surfing google. I'm fairly certain the only solution for me is to buy a non-low profile (it was a gift, in my defense) computer that I can fit my

Edit - It crashed mid-post. It was all I could do to hit the submit button before the seizures made it impossible D:
Starts out with blocks of yellow/magenta splotches across my screen (sounds like a failing monitor but I doubt it).
Long story short - replacing graphics card once I find the housing to fit the new gaming card I have. Oh, and it could also be Magic Jack (the stupid kind that has to be plugged into your computer and you have to leave it on for all eternity).

Duke1sm

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
After reading this I'm failing to see the conclusion here. I just got a new monitor and believe it or not that's when my weird brownish bod came. Any fixes to this yet? It's rare that they happen for me, but they allways happen when I'm mid-game which is really annoying.

Edit:

I consulted a friend of mine and he informed me that the source is that my motherboard is basicly fried.
Guess I have to upgrade my computer sooner than planned.