[SOLVED] Strange Ryzen 3000 Boot and Start-Up Problems

Aug 3, 2019
So there is this strange thing occurring with my newly built Ryzen 3000 system, let me start with my system specs and then let me explain my problem.

My system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz (XMP enabled for 3200MHz)
HDD: Western Digital 7200 RPM 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO
GPU: RX 590 8GB Sapphire Nitro+
PSU: Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold Rated Focus Plus Series

My problem is as follows:

When I first built this PC everything went perfectly fine. I updated the Motherboard's BIOS with the Flashback feature on the board and the Ryzen 3600X worked perfectly. I was even happy to know that my chosen RAM overclocked to 3200 MHz with XMP enabled. However I've been getting strange boot and start-up issues when turning my PC on everyday. A few weeks ago, whenever I turned my PC on, the computer would boot up just fine, however the monitor would refuse to display an image.
I resolved this issue by flipping the switch on my power supply to the OFF position whenever I powered down the computer completely before I went to bed. For some reason this resolved the issue because I think the motherboard was still carrying power from the PSU to the display ports even though the computer was powered off completely. Now I am facing a new problem. Every morning when I go to turn on my computer after flipping the PSU switch to the ON position the motherboard displays a red LED light underneath the CPU label on the board. The computer won't even boot and I have to force the computer to shut down with the power button on the front of my case. When I go to turn on the computer again, it repeats the same problem. The CPU fan is even running during the boot-up issues as well. After around the 3rd or 4th time powering the computer ON the computer boots and starts up normally as if nothing happened at all.
I've gone through and checked the connections on the motherboard to make sure that no cables were loose and I have even gone and monitored temperatures to ensure it's not a overheating problem. These checks have yielded no results on why my computer is doing this. When I use the PC on a day to day basis (gaming, web browsing, etc.) the PC performs without any issues at all. There are no system failures, crashes or random restarts or anything like that during intensive gaming or idle activity either. I could leave the PC on all day and there would not be a single issue. I'm even running the PC on the Ryzen Recommended power plan (balanced) as well.
Any solutions or ideas on how to resolve this issue would be really appreciated, for I am really worried something is wrong with my system.

Solution
Hello - apparently there's a set of LED's on the front side of the board - front = towards the front of the case. The one towards the top of the case is CPU, then DRAM, then VGA and then Boot... Motherboard manual page 37. We need to know which one it is.
HOLD IT! STOP HAULT FREEZE!! FYI: I don't redit - so I can't verify this on top of that - I wouldn't trust the google docs links they're providing... I've found a decent number of posts/videos and such pertaining to this problem and variations... There also seems to be differences in "BIOS Versions" as I see on the MSI site as compared with the posters site!!! So for me I would at this time contact MSI and see what's going on and see what BIOS version you have and what you should...

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hello - apparently there's a set of LED's on the front side of the board - front = towards the front of the case. The one towards the top of the case is CPU, then DRAM, then VGA and then Boot... Motherboard manual page 37. We need to know which one it is.
HOLD IT! STOP HAULT FREEZE!! FYI: I don't redit - so I can't verify this on top of that - I wouldn't trust the google docs links they're providing... I've found a decent number of posts/videos and such pertaining to this problem and variations... There also seems to be differences in "BIOS Versions" as I see on the MSI site as compared with the posters site!!! So for me I would at this time contact MSI and see what's going on and see what BIOS version you have and what you should use... IF they give you the google doc's link, then its fine otherwise... Anyway - HERE IS the link to the redit posting.

Reactions: DayTripper51
Solution