Question Stuck at BIOS after trying to use CMD to retrieve my missing profile

Oct 29, 2022
I don't know where to properly post this

Yesterday: I was previously signed onto my account and was about to log into a game with my friends for a session, but it suddenly froze. I waited for almost 20 minutes before I pushed the power button and forced it to restart.

However, when it went to the sign-on screen, my profile wasn't there and instead someone else.

That profile is the seller who sold me this computer almost 3 years ago.

I tried restarting multiple times, advanced restart, shutting it down for an hour.

I even tried the system restore option, but the Seller's profile is still there and is the only profile there.

I tried the password he provided me years ago when I was switching the admin provileges to my account, but it said "device offline" or told me to restart (again), so I can't log on AT ALL.

All my work, commission projects and private info is on my profile and I'm getting increasingly more stressed as I see the seller's profile over and over after each restart.

Extra info: I also made multiple attempts in the last year to update windows to 11, but it kept giving me an "error," so I'm forever stuck with 10.

I was at the blue screen after advanced restart to try and do a system restore after multiple attempts to restart and restore all day yesterday.

Unfortunately, I seem to get stuck at step 6, returning to the first screen after using CMD to use the command "net user administrator /active: yes"

I don't see the option to return to the first screen, but after I close the command prompt, it goes to the option of either:

A) Troubleshoot, leading to more options like system restore (didn't work), System Image Recover (didn't work), Startup Repair (same result), Command Prompt, UEFI/BIOS Firmware settings, or "Go back to Previous Build," (also didn't work)

or B) Turn of PC

I tried option B, but it just led back to Square 1

I was scouring through Google searching all day to fiddle with BIOS and Command Prompts, trying to use the CMD to fiddle with the disks and scans.

Though it kept saying it was unable to scan and eventually tried to work on the disks through the CMD.

However, halfway through scanning, it did that "freakout" again as of 9:25pm didn't respond to anything for almost 20 minutes. No key tapping, mouse movement, or clicking gave any response, so I had to do a force restart again.

Upon restarting, now it's just goes to the BIOS/UEFI Utility mode and won't go to the sign-on prompts, so now I don't even see the seller's profile. Just the BIOS screen by Republic of Gamers.

I tried loading the BIOS default settings. but instead of going straight to the Sign-on screen, it loops back to BIOS.

I try exiting or rebooting (again) and it goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore for a couple seconds and it's straight back to BIOS

I'm very confused as to what is going on with this computer.

If the information helps, this is a custom built pc with Razer, using Geforce gtx
I can't say what other specs it has, since I am unable to sign into my profile, nor can I find said profile. It's assumed it may be corrupted, but in place is the profile of the seller, even though I removed his profile after buying and moved admin privileges to my (now missing) profile.

The BIOS/UEFI Utility is also by Republic of Gamers

It's forever stuck at Windows 10, as prior to this stressful event, it kept giving an error every time I tried to update it to 11.

If you need boot information, there's Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB, Kingston SV300S37A240G, and WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0
First two are "E1" while the last is "E2"

Boot option 1 is under Samsung, but I tried rearranging it to see if it'd helps. Same result.

I tried disabling the Secure Boot sate: Same result.

Tried scouring through the BIOS' ASUS EZ Mode, but same result. But I don't know where to look anyway,

I tried forcing it off again and on, since I no longer have the option to restart as normal.

Been over 24 hours of trying to figure it out.

I did have it taken a look at by a local computer repairman because there were a lot of loose items from the move.
He had a fan replaced, new thermal past put in, and a BIOS battery (I assume that he saw it was needed).

UPDATE: So I purchased an external harddrive under Seagate BUP Slim, set it up on this laptop, including the Windows 10 installer. I then plugged it to the affected computer and attempted to boot it. Still BIOS, but I see the Seagate harddrive in the Boot list.
However, when I click on it, it still goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore. Did I accidentally skip a step? What else can I do?

UPDATE 2: I double checked that I got the Windows 10 installer set up into the ext drive, and it seems that BIOS won't recognize it? Or it won't register it, even though it's in the usb plug AND the ext drive itself is lit up, indicating it is indeed connected.

UPDATE 3: Back to Square 2 finally. I'm not sure if it booted from the ext drive, but it's nice NOT to see BIOS immediately after booting.
However, after clicking Repair PC, it brought me to
Shut down PC
or Troubleshoot with the following sub-options
  1. Startup Repair
  2. Command Prompt
  3. Uninstall Updates
  4. System Restore
  5. System Image Recovery
Option 1, Startup Repair, led to the result "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC. Press Advanced options or Shut down."
Option 2, Command Prompt, I attempted to do a system reset through that but it was not a recognizable command.
Option 3, I skipped for now until I get the okay that this is a safe option
Options 4, System Restore, didn't work or.. it didn't specify. It said that was to specify which Windows Installation to restore and to restart (wary about doing that).
Option 5 was also a no-go.

Leaving it on and fiddling with the command prompt to work around and find a way get the ext drive to go

Last edited:
It looks like the original issue was related to a corrupted account, but now it appears the booting partition is gone or corrupted.

See if you are able to reinstall WIndows 10, using the option Repair Install.
That way you can keeping all personal files.

You will have to create a Windows 10 bootable USB drive and boot from it.

Go to Windows 10 download page and click Download Now under Create Windows 10 installation media.

When done creating the bootable USB, boot your computer from the USB drive.
When you get to the Install now screen click on Repair your computer on lower left corner, then select Troubleshoot and Reset this PC.

You will be presented with two options, "Keep my files" and "Remove everything", select the first option. It will remove apps and settings but keep your personal files.

Oct 29, 2022
It looks like the original issue was related to a corrupted account, but now it appears the booting partition is gone or corrupted.

Go to Windows 10 download page and click Download Now under Create Windows 10 installation media.

When you get to the Install now screen click on Repair your computer on lower left corner, then select Troubleshoot and Reset this PC.

You will be presented with two options, "Keep my files" and "Remove everything", select the first option. It will remove apps and settings but keep your personal files.
Do I have to do it from my affected computer? I'm unable to go anywhere but the BIOS?
Or.. did you mean I should go to a nearby tech store to get a usb drive and THEN do the download from this laptop and move it to the pc?
I'll work on this right away. Thank you for this really

I'll give an update if anything happened

Do I have to do it from my affected computer? I'm unable to go anywhere but the BIOS?
Or.. did you mean I should go to a nearby tech store to get a usb drive and THEN do the download from this laptop and move it to the pc?
I'll work on this right away. Thank you for this really

I'll give an update if anything happened
You need to create a bootable USB from a working computer.
If you do not have a USB drive, then you might need to purchase one

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it was used after the seller made this custom built pc, but he said all I had to do was delete his profile and turn admin status to my new main profile
Sounds like a semi-clueless seller.

I would never do that.
For any used PC/phone/tablet/storage device....full wipe and reinstall.

That needs to be the very first thing you do. No question.

Clearly, whatever you did (or did not do) left behind the original persons info and account.

Oct 29, 2022

So I purchased an external harddrive under Seagate BUP Slim, set it up on this laptop, including the Windows 10 installer. I then plugged it to the affected computer and attempted to boot it. Still BIOS, but I see the Seagate harddrive in the Boot list.
However, when I click on it, it still goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore as it does with the other drives. Did I accidentally skip a step? What else can I do?

Oct 29, 2022
Sounds like a semi-clueless seller.

I would never do that.
For any used PC/phone/tablet/storage device....full wipe and reinstall.

That needs to be the very first thing you do. No question.

Clearly, whatever you did (or did not do) left behind the original persons info and account.
Most likely. And now a few years later, it's biting me in the butt and it's.. quite stressful. All my projects and commissions are in that device

Oct 29, 2022
Does this mean my pc will need to be replaced? The ext hard drive seems to yield the same result of looping back to BIOS after showing a blank screen with a blinking underscore after clicking on it.

USAFRet

Titan
I can't even get to my profile from this. The BIOS is starting to feel like hell mocking me that I can't go any further, even with the new ext hard drive, unless I'm missing a crucial step
Can't get past the BIOS at all?

From some other working machine, can you create a Windows install USB or LinuxLive USB.
Just to test the hardware and see if it actually boots up.

Oct 29, 2022
Can't get past the BIOS at all?

From some other working machine, can you create a Windows install USB or LinuxLive USB.
Just to test the hardware and see if it actually boots up.
On this laptop (surface pro), it's Windows 11, so it's iffy with fiddling with Windows 10. Gonna try with the Windows 11 update on the the drive maybe and then plug it back to the affected computer.
Give me a few

USAFRet

Titan
On this laptop (surface pro), it's Windows 11, so it's iffy with fiddling with Windows 10. Gonna try with the Windows 11 update on the the drive maybe and then plug it back to the affected computer.
Give me a few
"...and then plug it back to the affected computer. "

What do you mean here?

Do NOT boot this drive in some other system and attempt to do any update.

Oct 29, 2022
"...and then plug it back to the affected computer. "

What do you mean here?

Do NOT boot this drive in some other system and attempt to do any update.
Sorry, what I meant was, or assumed:
I was to download the media installation of Windows 10, then boot up the affected computer and plug the new ext hard drive with the new windows 10 installer in hopes to make progress on regaining access to that affected computer to get my profile back

and perhaps back up into the new ext drive, do a full wipe of the affected pc, and then take the ext drive back into the (hopefully fixed) pc and put my files and media back

Edit: Installation for the ext done. My affected pc is booted off now. Shall I give it a go or..?

Oct 29, 2022
All I meant with the Windows installer, either 10 or 11, was to possibly check the hardware functionality.

Just to see if it boots up past the BIOS.
Installer's in the new ext drive

but for almost 24 hours, it won't go past BIOS.
Now I'm wary to see if plugging the ext drive to this with the newer installer will help...
I need a mental break. This pc has made me learn more about OS and BIOS than I will ever want to know.
I'm tech savvy, but more for games and art rather than the.. brain of tech.

Oct 29, 2022
I don't know where to properly post this

It's Day 3 at this point.

OLD POST
Yesterday: I was previously signed onto my account and was about to log into a game with my friends for a session, but it suddenly froze. I waited for almost 20 minutes before I pushed the power button and forced it to restart.

However, when it went to the sign-on screen, my profile wasn't there and instead someone else.

That profile is the seller who sold me this computer almost 3 years ago.

I tried restarting multiple times, advanced restart, shutting it down for an hour.

I even tried the system restore option, but the Seller's profile is still there and is the only profile there.

I tried the password he provided me years ago when I was switching the admin provileges to my account, but it said "device offline" or told me to restart (again), so I can't log on AT ALL.

All my work, commission projects and private info is on my profile and I'm getting increasingly more stressed as I see the seller's profile over and over after each restart.

Extra info: I also made multiple attempts in the last year to update windows to 11, but it kept giving me an "error," so I'm forever stuck with 10.

I was at the blue screen after advanced restart to try and do a system restore after multiple attempts to restart and restore all day yesterday.

Unfortunately, I seem to get stuck at step 6, returning to the first screen after using CMD to use the command "net user administrator /active: yes"

I don't see the option to return to the first screen, but after I close the command prompt, it goes to the option of either:

A) Troubleshoot, leading to more options like system restore (didn't work), System Image Recover (didn't work), Startup Repair (same result), Command Prompt, UEFI/BIOS Firmware settings, or "Go back to Previous Build," (also didn't work)

or B) Turn of PC

I tried option B, but it just led back to Square 1

I was scouring through Google searching all day to fiddle with BIOS and Command Prompts, trying to use the CMD to fiddle with the disks and scans.

Though it kept saying it was unable to scan and eventually tried to work on the disks through the CMD.

However, halfway through scanning, it did that "freakout" again as of 9:25pm didn't respond to anything for almost 20 minutes. No key tapping, mouse movement, or clicking gave any response, so I had to do a force restart again.

Upon restarting, now it's just goes to the BIOS/UEFI Utility mode and won't go to the sign-on prompts, so now I don't even see the seller's profile. Just the BIOS screen by Republic of Gamers.

I tried loading the BIOS default settings. but instead of going straight to the Sign-on screen, it loops back to BIOS.

I try exiting or rebooting (again) and it goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore for a couple seconds and it's straight back to BIOS

I'm very confused as to what is going on with this computer.

If the information helps, this is a custom built pc with Razer, using Geforce gtx

I can't say what other specs it has, since I am unable to sign into my profile, nor can I find said profile. It's assumed it may be corrupted, but in place is the profile of the seller, even though I removed his profile after buying and moved admin privileges to my (now missing) profile.

The BIOS/UEFI Utility is also by Republic of Gamers

It's forever stuck at Windows 10, as prior to this stressful event, it kept giving an error every time I tried to update it to 11.

If you need boot information, there's Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB, Kingston SV300S37A240G, and WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0

First two are "E1" while the last is "E2"

Boot option 1 is under Samsung, but I tried rearranging it to see if it'd helps. Same result.

I tried disabling the Secure Boot sate: Same result.

Tried scouring through the BIOS' ASUS EZ Mode, but same result. But I don't know where to look anyway,

I tried forcing it off again and on, since I no longer have the option to restart as normal.

Been over 24 hours of trying to figure it out.

I did have it taken a look at by a local computer repairman because there were a lot of loose items from the move.

He had a fan replaced, new thermal past put in, and a BIOS battery (I assume that he saw it was needed).

UPDATE: So I purchased an external harddrive under Seagate BUP Slim, set it up on this laptop, including the Windows 10 installer. I then plugged it to the affected computer and attempted to boot it. Still BIOS, but I see the Seagate harddrive in the Boot list.

However, when I click on it, it still goes to a black screen with a blinking white underscore. Did I accidentally skip a step? What else can I do?

UPDATE 2: I double checked that I got the Windows 10 installer set up into the ext drive, and it seems that BIOS won't recognize it? Or it won't register it, even though it's in the usb plug AND the ext drive itself is lit up, indicating it is indeed connected.

UPDATE 3: Back to Square 2 finally. I'm not sure if it booted from the ext drive, but it's nice NOT to see BIOS immediately after booting.

However, after clicking Repair PC, it brought me to

Shut down PC

or Troubleshoot with the following sub-options

Startup Repair
Command Prompt
Uninstall Updates
System Restore
System Image Recovery

Option 1, Startup Repair, led to the result "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC. Press Advanced options or Shut down."

Option 2, Command Prompt, I attempted to do a system reset through that but it was not a recognizable command.

Option 3, Uninstall Updates, I skipped for now until I get the okay that this is a safe option

Options 4, System Restore, didn't work or.. it didn't specify. It said that was to specify which Windows Installation to restore and to restart (wary about doing that).

Option 5, System Image Recovery, was also a no-go.

Leaving it on overnight and fiddling with the command prompt to work around and find a way get the ext drive to go

It's been 3 days at this point.

View: https://imgur.com/a284Wm8

View: https://imgur.com/i1bDlH4

View: https://imgur.com/6aXGuSh

View: https://imgur.com/N0ccCcP

Last edited: