[SOLVED] Swapped mobo and CPU, now windows needs 5 mins after booting to be used properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
Hello together,
I just bought a Ryzen 3950x and an ASUS Rog Strix x570-E (got a big discount for the CPU so I bought it even tho next gen launches soon).

I didn't reinstall windows first, everything seemed fine first, but then I couldn't load any website with chrome, not even 404, it just gets black. Also my windows button on the keyboard didn't work, and the whole taskbar in general wasn't functioning properly.
It wouldn't let me press the startmenu or search. Weird thing is, Edge worked, but Chrome did not. This goes on for 3-5 minutes, then all of a sudden everything is loading. It seems like the system has some kind of hiccup.
Generally the system boots very slow, when I enter the pin for my user it takes aroujnd

Something really important: I noticed that if I kill the explorer.exe and start it again, I can "skip" the 3-5 minutes and have a normal windows right away. This seems like a fix, but I don't think this behavior is normal in any way. I want a normal windows which boots fast and doesn't have any problems.

So I reinstalled windows with a full clean of my nvme. First I didn't have that error, but now I get it again. I thought I found the error on iCUE yesterday, because it appeared right after I installed it. But then I got it today again after I uninstalled it.

More testing and exclusion that I did so far:

Test all of my 4 ram sticks and also different ram slots, no difference.
Install windows on another nvme, no difference.
Booted from a USB stick, no difference. I get the error right away as soon as I restart.

I did do some CPU benchmarks, all my scores where in the normal points that the 3950x normally gets, so I don't think its the CPU, temperatures are fine as well.

My thoughts right now are on the Motherboard. It's weird that I can use windows normally after the bug, gaming works as well. Don't have any problems at all. But these first few minutes are throwing me off.

Anybody else got an idea?

Solution
I found the error, and you guys are going to <<Edited>> bricks when you read it. It's insane that something like this can happen and I'm so mad about the company that's fault for this that I don't know what to say.

Alright so, I wasn't sure if I wanted to reinstall windows, since my i7 was working fine with the windows that I installed with the Ryzen, but then you guys convinced me, and I thought I already installed it 5 times over the weekend so I can do it once more.

Then I noticed something really weird when I installed windows.

While the actual installation was going on, so the one where you see a percentage about windows being installed, all of a sudden a Razer Synapse installation pops up. I was like, yo, razer, I don't...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have the latest bios on motherboard?

tried running with bare minimum attached? gpu, cpu, nvme, ram, motherboard.

so its slow after logon? that is when my pc is the fastest (3600XT) at startup.

what are rest of parts in the system?

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
Yes, updated bios directly on the first day - no difference.

Sincethe 3950x doesn't have an integrated gpu, I have to use my gpu, I tried to run it with only 1 ram stick and only 1 nvme, that's the most minimum I can do and still get the error.

Rest of system is:

NXZT Kraken X62
ASUS Rog Strix x570-E
Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 4x8GB
Zotac 2080 Ti
2x Samsung nvme & 1 Samsung ssd
850w psu

Before I had a i7 8700 with a MSI Z370 PC Pro.
Windows booted very fast on that as well, thats why I notice the difference so much.

I mean I would have no problems with slow booting, but that I cant use windows properly until I kill the explorer.exe is really weird for me, plus I installed windows like 4 times now and still get that error every time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So all 4 installs its not noticeable until after you install software?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

is it that slow in safe mode?
on the logon screen, open the power menu in bottom right of screen
while holding left shift, click restart button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

how old/new was the installer?

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
No, I get the error right away, first I thought its only after I install software. But when I booted with an USB stick, I got it instantly. I probably didn't notice it because I have to reboot for it to appear.
It also comes in safe mode, no matter with internet or not, sorry, forgot to mention that :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since you on nvme, turn off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - it won't fix this, or shouldn't, but it stops windows 10 creating start-up/shutdown logs

check this and see if any obvious errors that might be cause of slow start - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-check-the-shutdown-and-startup-log-in-windows-10

Do you get desktop at startup? its just not responsive.

What did you run off USB? really, when its running off the USB it should only be using ram.

Have you tried running off a ubuntu live usb? I suspect it will have problems as this has to be hardware to survive 4 installs. https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

what model are the samsung NVME?

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
Thanks so much for your help and time!

Gonna try booting without fast startup.

I get into the desktop, I can even click on icons and open folders with windows + E, or use windows + R, but I can't use the taskbar and can't open any websites on chrome. After I kill explorer.exe and start it again, everything is normal and very fast as well.

The nvmes are:
970 EVO Plus
970 Pro
Normal ssd is 860 Evo

I also bought a new Motherboard which should arrive on Monday, since my thoughts are that the board has some faultiness, but it's still weird that windows works normal after these minutes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
curious what shows in event viewer then.

did you use a new installer? it shouldn't matter, just curious.
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version number are you on? current is 20H2.

I have to go soon but i might see if anyone else has any ideas.

knowing how it goes in ubuntu would help to know if its just windows or something else.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How was the memory tested? Also, what speed is the memory set to in your BIOS? If faster than 2133, lower to that to see if it makes a difference.

I like Colif's Linux check as well. Would help to isolate a Windows or hardware issue.

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
I'm currently on Version 1909, I can't get 20H2 yet and updated as much as I can.

did you use a new installer? it shouldn't matter, just curious.

You mean windows installer? Yeah, I created the bootable USB yesterday and used that, so I did 3 different ways:
Resetting windows full
Installing windows on different nvme
Booting into usb windows

How was the memory tested? Also, what speed is the memory set to in your BIOS? If faster than 2133, lower to that to see if it makes a difference.

I tested each ram stick on different slots, it is set to 3200mhz, gonna test that as well.

So the Event Viewer didn't really show me anything, when I filtered on the codes I didn't see anything. And when I clicked on System I only saw some generic warnings about something "die COM-Serverapplication CLSID"

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
So, quick update from me:

I got the new motherboard today, I went for the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero this time.
Installed the CPU and only used a single nvme with windows on it: same result. So I did a complete new install, same result as well.

I didn't activate xmp(or docp) right away, to test the ram with lower speed, didn't change any result.

After that I tried a different nvme (took the other ouit) and did a fresh install on that too, same result.

So it seems that the motherboard is out of the failure range, my eyes are on the CPU now, and the reason for that:

I installed my i7 8700 and MSI board back, put all my nvmes and ssd back in, switched the power on and its blazing fast even without a new windows installation. No bugs, takes 1 millisecond after login to be able to use windows, just like its meant to be. Weirdest thing that ever happened to me.

I'm going to get a CPU and motherboard replacement, let's see how that goes.

Thank you both so much for your help.

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
I just bought a new Ryzen 3950x and a new ASUS xb570-E, installed everything today.

Weird thing is, I kind of have the same bug, but it is a bit different. I get a big hiccup in the beginning after I launched into windows, then everything works pretty much.

I don't know what this is, I've read now that x570 boards are having problems with booting slower then previous generations, but this is just odd.

So my thought was, why not test a different brand, so I ordered a MSI x570 board which will come later this week, lets see if this is just an ASUS thing, because the CPU is out, as everything else of my system.
The only thing I couldn't test was the GPU, but it worked 100% fine when I used my old i7 and MSI board, so I don't think it has anything to do with this. I'm going to update so maybe if someone else has a similar problem in the future.

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
I found the error, and you guys are going to <<Edited>> bricks when you read it. It's insane that something like this can happen and I'm so mad about the company that's fault for this that I don't know what to say.

Alright so, I wasn't sure if I wanted to reinstall windows, since my i7 was working fine with the windows that I installed with the Ryzen, but then you guys convinced me, and I thought I already installed it 5 times over the weekend so I can do it once more.

Then I noticed something really weird when I installed windows.

While the actual installation was going on, so the one where you see a percentage about windows being installed, all of a sudden a Razer Synapse installation pops up. I was like, yo, razer, I don't even have windows installed, why don't you just wait a second.
Then it hit me.
Could it be? Is Razer somehow <<Content removed by moderator>> it up? I don't know for sure, but there is a hiccup going on directly after booting, which might point at some kind of driver or periphery issue.

I tested it. I restarted and unplugged the Razer Huntsman Mini that I just bought 2 weeks ago.

It worked.

I couldn't believe it. I took out my old Ducky out of the closet, plugged it in. And it worked flawlessly. It's blazing fast. I tested it 10 times with both keyboards and I can 100% tell it is in fact the Razer Huntsman Mini which caused me so much trouble over the weekend. I am so mad that it's actually hilarious.

Yeah guys, thank you for convincing me to reinstall, otherwise I wouldn't have seen the Razer popup which led me to testing the keyboard, after I tested around 10 different hardware setups - lmao. This is hilarious.

Well, the Razer Huntsman mini is going back.

Thank you so much for your assistance guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RickNetic
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
razer synapse has done that to me in the past. Its cause the only way to get the drivers for their hardware is download synapse. So win 10 looks for drivers for hardware attached and it grabs that.

Synapse is one big reason I don't use Razer stuff.

one thing that would have stopped it happening is do an install without internet access. then it doesn't look for updates until win 10 is finished.

Lloyyd

Reputable
Nov 1, 2020
Yeah, I had some Razer mouses before but had always problems with Razer Synapse, I didn't want any more products from them, but I really liked the new keyboard and wanted to give it a chance. Well I learned my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.