Question Swapped my CPU-MOBO-RAM, and now the PC won't boot. Also peripherals doesn't turn on (but USB ports do have power) and no video at all.

valentinoguerra

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
I updated my PC recently, i went from an ASUS H61M-K to an ASUS A320M-K, and upgraded my CPU from an i7 3770 to a Ryzen 3 4100. Eventually, i was forced to change my RAM too, went from DDR3 to DDR4. I have x2 8GB PNY DDR4 3200MHz CL16 1.35V, don't remember the model name tho.
Also i've added an extra SSD, and added some fans, i don't think it's relevant but i'm mentioning it anyway, just in case.
I kept my old graphic card (MSI 1050Ti), case (In Win 303), and storage drives.

Once i installed the new components (as you can imagine, it was like building a brand new PC), and connected all the stuff, i pressed the power button and it didn't boot. Also, i figured out that i have no video at all, and my peripherals doesn't turn on. But the fans do turn on, the MOBO lights turn on, the case lights turn on, and the USB ports do have power (i connected every single USB port to my phone, and it charges, it works in every single port). I tried a few things, swapping the RAM memory slots, tried with only one memory, tried with the other one, disconnected the graphic card, check if CPU gold pins are ok, check PSU cables (everything seems well connected), and nothing. Also i don't have other compatible working PC to test if these components works properly.

It made me google about it, and i found out that it may be a BIOS thing, so i started my research, and i had come to the conclussion that maybe my motherboard has an outdated BIOS, and since my CPU is new (or almost, it came out last year, in April 2022), it sounds logic to me. I tried removing the CMOS, it didn't work, then i cleared the CMOS RTC RAM, and it didn't work either.
Obviously in every test i did, i turned off the PSU and unplug the cable the step before.

I also checked if these three components (CPU-MOBO-RAM) were compatible a thousand times, before buying, after buying, before building the PC and after building it (i don't think it's a compatibility trouble).

I'm out of ideas, the only thing i have in mind now is trying to install the BIOS from a USB stick.
How do i know if it's a MOBO thing, or a memory thing, or a BIOS thing?
If it was the memory, does that make the peripherals don't work at all?
If it was the motherboard, would i be able to charge my phone with every single USB port?
If it was the BIOS, is it normal to don't even have video or working peripherals? And why removing the CMOS battery didn't work?
How do i know where the problem is?

Last edited:
Solution
Yup, based on first line alone, most likely that the A320M-K needs (probably) several BIOS updates to work with the 4100. You need to be on 5862.

You can either purchase the cheapest Athlon CPU available that works with the base BIOS and use that to update, which is probably going to be the least expensive option. You could try to find a 1st gen Ryzen on sale second hand. You could take it to a shop and have them update it for you.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yup, based on first line alone, most likely that the A320M-K needs (probably) several BIOS updates to work with the 4100. You need to be on 5862.

You can either purchase the cheapest Athlon CPU available that works with the base BIOS and use that to update, which is probably going to be the least expensive option. You could try to find a 1st gen Ryzen on sale second hand. You could take it to a shop and have them update it for you.

Reactions: valentinoguerra
Solution