Question Switching between front and rear audio jacks via Windows

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi everyone,
I hope this is the right forum for this question. In my previous PC (Realtek ALC4080) I could keep the headphones plugged into the front jack and my front speakers to the rear jack.. both at the same time, and I could just switch between them via Windows. It was very convenient that I didn't need to plug and unplug my headphones every time I wanted to switch, and also the Windows remembered the volume for each one.
Now with my new PC (Realtek ALC1220) I don't have this option in Windows any more. It detects only a single Realtek audio output (before there were 2 - headphones + speakers).
So every time I want to use the headphones I need to plug them and set the volume accordingly.
Also, previously windows automatically downloaded the Realtek manager app right after I installed the driver, but this time it didn't. The ALC1220 is not the lowest of the Realtek codecs, it's actually supposed to be pretty good quality so I don't get it. I simply installed the latest driver from the motherboard's manufacturer site.

Is there a way I can set the front and rear jack to be interchangeable? Just to clarify, I am not looking to output sound from the headphones and speakers at the same time, only to be able to switch between those 2 outputs via Windows (while keep both physically plugged in).
Thx for any insight regarding this.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Excuse me.. please move this thread to Windows 11 forum. I didn't see that there are other topics at the bottom of the list :)

EDIT: you can just delete this thread.. I found the solution.
I needed to manually download the "Realtek Audio Console" (which is not easy to find..even searching on Microsoft store I didn't find it, only with a link I found on some Asrock webpage somewhere..).
Than I just set this option in there.

Last edited: