Question Switching between speakers and headphones

elijah_

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Hi,

I built a new PC but am struggling to set up my audio. I usually use my speakers for browsing, music, netflix and switch to my headphones for gaming.

My new PC uses a MSI B450 Gaming Plus and I installed the Realtek HD Universal Driver from MSI (version 6.0.8858.1). I installed Windows with only my speakers connected to the backpanel and later plugged in my headphones on the front panel (connected via an amplifier, but have also tried without). Clicking the speaker symbol in my systray, however, only shows Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio). When I plug in my headphones I am asked what device I plugged in (answering headphones), but nothing will change - the speakers are still the only device shown. When my headphones are connected the sound will come through them, I can only listen from my speakers when the headphones are unplugged.

How do I get Windows/Realtek recognise both headphones and speakers? I used to have something like this before (screenshot is Win7 but it was pretty much the same on my last PC using Win10) - is there any way to get this back? I would like to be able to switch my playback device from the systray again (ideally also being able to set device specific audio levels and different profiles).

elijah_

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
I believe I figured it out partly. I didn't see the settings wheel in the Realtek Audio Console and now set front and rear output devices playback two differnt audio streams simultaneously and to separate all input jacks. I can now just select a playback device from the systray. Is there still a way to get back the menu from my screenshot above? I still was able to change my microphone settings there without opening a new window.