yandawidgames

Commendable
Apr 22, 2018
I've been developing a game for Oculus and need to test out my game on a recommended GPU to ensure stable performance. So it seems I'll be getting a GTX 970 for this purpose, however, I don't want to deal with swapping out my RTX 3070 whenever I want to test the game and whenever I want to game on my PC leisurely.

Is it possible to have both of these GPUs plugged into my PC at once (different PCIe slots) and then switch between them either through Nvidia Control Panel, BIOS, or Windows 10?

Also, I use a Ryzen 2700X, Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming motherboard. and a 650W PSU. Will my PC need to be constantly powering both GPUs at once? If so, then the PSU could be an issue.

Solution
Is it possible to have both of these GPUs plugged into my PC at once (different PCIe slots)
Yes.
and then switch between them either through Nvidia Control Panel, BIOS, or Windows 10?
Nope. You switch between cards by connecting your monitor to card, you want to use.

Also, I use 650W PSU. Will my PC need to be constantly powering both GPUs at once? If so, then the PSU could be an issue.
Having both graphics cards together in the system will require 800W PSU minimum.
Is it possible to have both of these GPUs plugged into my PC at once (different PCIe slots)
Yes.
and then switch between them either through Nvidia Control Panel, BIOS, or Windows 10?
Nope. You switch between cards by connecting your monitor to card, you want to use.

Also, I use 650W PSU. Will my PC need to be constantly powering both GPUs at once? If so, then the PSU could be an issue.
Having both graphics cards together in the system will require 800W PSU minimum.

Solution

yandawidgames

Commendable
Apr 22, 2018

Would it then be possible to have both of them plugged into the PCIe slots, but then only have one connected to the PSU at a time? I wouldn't mind changing the power cables as much as physically swapping GPUs.
And will 650W really not be enough? On a furmark stress test, the board power draw is only ~250W, and with my 2700x at max draw it should really total at about 350W maximum (at a stretch), still leaving me about 300W, and the GTX 970 is about 150W. Though I am aware that the PSU limit isn't really meant to be considered a "target".

Also, would there be any issues in terms of GPU Drivers?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I've been developing a game for Oculus and need to test out my game on a recommended GPU to ensure stable performance. So it seems I'll be getting a GTX 970 for this purpose, however, I don't want to deal with swapping out my RTX 3070 whenever I want to test the game and whenever I want to game on my PC leisurely.

Is it possible to have both of these GPUs plugged into my PC at once (different PCIe slots) and then switch between them either through Nvidia Control Panel, BIOS, or Windows 10?

Also, I use a Ryzen 2700X, Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming motherboard. and a 650W PSU. Will my PC need to be constantly powering both GPUs at once? If so, then the PSU could be an issue.
You really need to get a dedicated test host, IMO. I have been in software dev for many years. You want a PC that you can wipe the disk and start from a known baseline for testing. That also allows you to ensure you know ALL the required dependencies of your software. Need a MS C++ DLL??? You will know that if you have a dedicated "test mule" that you can wipe to a basic OS configuration as often as desired.