Question System doesn't post when RAM A1 A2 in use

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hello, I am helping a friend with his PC because we're both clueless to what the problem could be.

After we upgraded to a faster SSD and a MoBo which can support the speeds, the system didn't come further than post code C5 or 27. We thought it was a MoBo problem since it occured with the new board (we tried the ssd in the old board and that worked). We loosened the bolts a bit on the CPU cooler. That wasnt the problem, because it also didnt post on the old board anymore either.

We then looked at other posts and thought it eas the RAM. We bought new, supported RAM for our system. It didnt change. At this point we did find out that it works with one stick in B2 (and i believe B1 and B2 both work).

Then we concluded it must be a faulty memory controller in the CPU. We switched our CPU for a new one. It didnt change anything. We still believed it was another faulty CPU, so I put my CPU in, which works in my system, but doesnt in his.

We also switched the CPU cooler from a liquid cooler to an air cooler, and PSU, and tried out switching the SSD's, new windows install. Pretty much everything. It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

Lately it doesn't stop at C5 with the stop codes, it usually stops at 27. also the front USB doesn't recognize USB sticks anymore. We usually are at single channel so the top speeds are 2133MHz instead of 3200MHz..

Either we're the most unluckiest people with PC's or we're completely missing something. We're at this for like a month or 2 now with couple hundreds extra spent (not my idea, but still)

Please help! Every bit of brainstorming is appreciated!!

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
place it at A2 and B2, and it should fix it, dont forget to load the xmp, or try to reset the bios, clean the ram contact point, blew/clean the ram slot away from dust.
Thanks for your reply!
Sadly, as I said, if either one of the A1 or A2 slots are in use, the system doesn't POST. I don't know if I said that clearly but now I have ^^

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
tried your cpu on other motherboard with 4 slot of dimm? if it workd then it should be the mobo faulty.
We tried his cpu on his older board, where it previously worked on, and it didnt work on there. My cpu on his board didnt work either. Does this mean he has 2 faulty boards? I believe his CPU would work on my system though, because my working CPU doesnt work on his system.

But how in gods name does one have two faulty boards all the sudden while the former one worked for 6 months and suddenly not anymore?

We also wanted to go to another bios update, but we couldnt since it didnt recognize any fat32 formatted usb drive, so it couldn't recognize the bios update files either. Super annoying cause we cant check if it's a bad bios update either.

MeDoMiHD

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
if would help it you listed the motherboard and RAM specs at least? would take some of the guesswork out of the equation.
Motherboard we mainly use is the ASROCK B550 Steel Legend, an AM4 board with ryzen 5000 support in latest drivers, I can't remember full spec list other than it supports up to 3600MHz or 3200MHz (at least the RAM speed we used to use)

The RAM is the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16 I believe, but we also bought some Gskill RGB 3200 MHz 4x8GB, which was on the official QVL. Both have the same problem, and the corsair ones used to work on the older board, the Asus Prime B450 plus AM4 board, and the first 2 or 3 weeks on the newer one. Both boards don't work with neither sets of RAM now. We have tried 3 different CPUs and it cant be that, because the last one that we tried works in my pc but not in his, as if it just notices where it is and didnt even wanna try to work lol

If you need any more info, let me know. Sorry for late reply, I was pretty busy with other projects.
Thanks for the reply!