Question System shutdown in demanding games

Aug 31, 2024
Hi,
Been bothered by this issues for a couple years and now had enough and hope you bright minds can help me solve the issue :)
specs:
CPU: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
Memory: 4 x 8 GB G.SKILL F4-3200C14-8GTZR
PSU: Corsair RM850i

Connected to my PC I got a 48" LG OLED48CX6LB TV (4K monitor) and 2 x ASUS VG248 monitors running 1980x 1080 @ 144Hz.

The issue started shortly after I build the system a couple years ago, when I ran games in 4K every now and then my PC would just shut down.
First guess would be PSU so I upgraded this from a 450W to the current 850W.
Problem is still around.
I played Wow in 4K and found the computer shutting down when ever i died, no fun intended. Also happened when i ran into cut scenes. But not always. I found the solution to this by changing my in game GFX settings to run at 1440p and limit the GFX, This has helped 90% but every now and then I still get a shutdown.

flash forward to today, I found a new game to try. Installed it and ran default settings (4K) and got ~3 mins into game and shutdown.
That's when I had enough. So now I been trying to fix the issue. Following has been done without helping.
Bios update to newest ASUS release (4805) updated Radeon drivers to newest release (24.8.1) and then tried first unplug the 2 x ASUS VG248 monitors to give more bandwidth for the primary monitor. Didn't help. Tried the other way around, unplug the TV and run with the 2 x ASUS VG248 monitors, same result.
Ran HWMonitor and GPU-Z on 2nd monitor while encountering the crashes to see if the values spiked or showed any high numbers and I don't see any alarming numbers, but I add them here for smarter minds to review and maybe something is useful.
HWmonitor GPU-Z

What I'm looking for is some evidence if the PSU can't deliver enough for the GPU, but as far as recommended specs the 850W should be sufficient.
Really appreciate any advice or things to try. Would love to have a 1000W I could test with to see if this is the issue, but would also hate spending money on it, to find out it's not the issue.

I really was convinced removing the 4K option would have solved the issue, but now I'm just puzzled what could be triggering the system to shut down.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that were captured just before or at the time of the shutdowns.

There should be (hopefully) a group of new entries that correlate with when you began to play the new game.

Reliability History/Monitor is end-user friendly and the timeline format may reveal patterns.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help with Event Viewer:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Clicking an entry in either one of the tools will provide more details about what happened. The details may or may not be helpful.

Based on the system history that you posted, you may have quite a number of entries in the Event Viewer logs.

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
Hi,
Been bothered by this issues for a couple years and now had enough and hope you bright minds can help me solve the issue :)
specs:
CPU: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Motherboard: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
Memory: 4 x 8 GB G.SKILL F4-3200C14-8GTZR
PSU: Corsair RM850i

Connected to my PC I got a 48" LG OLED48CX6LB TV (4K monitor) and 2 x ASUS VG248 monitors running 1980x 1080 @ 144Hz.

The issue started shortly after I build the system a couple years ago, when I ran games in 4K every now and then my PC would just shut down.
First guess would be PSU so I upgraded this from a 450W to the current 850W.
Problem is still around.
I played Wow in 4K and found the computer shutting down when ever i died, no fun intended. Also happened when i ran into cut scenes. But not always. I found the solution to this by changing my in game GFX settings to run at 1440p and limit the GFX, This has helped 90% but every now and then I still get a shutdown.

flash forward to today, I found a new game to try. Installed it and ran default settings (4K) and got ~3 mins into game and shutdown.
That's when I had enough. So now I been trying to fix the issue. Following has been done without helping.
Bios update to newest ASUS release (4805) updated Radeon drivers to newest release (24.8.1) and then tried first unplug the 2 x ASUS VG248 monitors to give more bandwidth for the primary monitor. Didn't help. Tried the other way around, unplug the TV and run with the 2 x ASUS VG248 monitors, same result.
Ran HWMonitor and GPU-Z on 2nd monitor while encountering the crashes to see if the values spiked or showed any high numbers and I don't see any alarming numbers, but I add them here for smarter minds to review and maybe something is useful.
HWmonitor GPU-Z

What I'm looking for is some evidence if the PSU can't deliver enough for the GPU, but as far as recommended specs the 850W should be sufficient.
Really appreciate any advice or things to try. Would love to have a 1000W I could test with to see if this is the issue, but would also hate spending money on it, to find out it's not the issue.

I really was convinced removing the 4K option would have solved the issue, but now I'm just puzzled what could be triggering the system to shut down.
The games make cpu and gpu work harder and thus could cause a temperature problem. Monitor the cpu and gpu temperature while gaming and I'll be you see the problem occur as the temperatures rise.