[SOLVED] System shuts off when gaming. Help needed.

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
A little while ago I tried booting up and old game that was sitting in my Steam library (Slime Rancher) with my new pc*. To my surprise, after about 50 seconds of gameplay my pc crashed and didn't restart. I booted up my system and tried the game on low and max settings with no prevail. Since my pc is much better than the minimum/recommended criteria I downloaded Aida64 Extreme and did some stress tests. I ran tests for my gpu, disks, memory, cache, fpu, and cpu. The fpu test completely failed, not even half a second goes by and my pc crashes, so I boot it up and test my cache next. Same result. Then I tested my memory, but this time it didn't crash, only the stress test window went unresponsive and my pc slowed down significantly. Other than that every test went smoothly and each of the components handled their respective test nicely. My questions are, since I vaguely remember anything about them: What is cache? What is fpu? Is my memory, that isn't on my motherboard's QVL list, sufficient for my pc? I hope I'm not asking for too much, but I'm desperate for some help in troubleshooting this problem.
Thanks in advance.

*Note: The gpu was bought a few years ago, hopefully getting a 5700xt in the coming days

Reactions: me 1
Solution
I went out and got a new psu (Corsair CX750m bronze w/ the grey label), but the issue persists. I ran Rocket League with a CPU and GPU temp. overlay and both stayed at around 75 celsius until the crash a minute in. So if it isn't a cpu, gpu, or psu problem, is it a memory problem? I am using 16g of memory by V-Color.

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
UPDATE
During the stress test I noticed my gpu fan wasn't spinning. I thought it was passive cooling or something like that. I went into MSI afterburner and increased the RPM of my fans to adjust to the temperature, which they did, but my system still crashed.

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
What's your exact system specs? I'd put money on the PSU being the problem and not the memory or the GPU.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 OC to 4.2 MHz
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory: Dual Channel (on slots 2&4) 16gb ddr4, running at 1600 MHz, CAS latency of 16
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb gddr5, core speed at 140 MHz
PSU: EVGA nonmodular ATX 650w
Storage: 500gb WD SATA 6 Gb/s ssd
Additional Storage: 1tb Seagate BarraCuda 7200rpm hdd

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Update #2
Just launched Rocket League to see if the problem was present with all games, but Rocket League (on max settings) ran perfectly. I also noticed that Slime Rancher gives me the option to launch in "Safe Mode", while Rocket League didn't. Is there something I should know about Slime Rancher or any other game that gives the option to launch in "Safe Mode"?

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Is anyone going to write back? Anyway, just switched my 1060 with a 5700xt, but the problem remains. My PSU is 650 watt, but I read that it runs at 75% efficiency (yeesh), does that mean that at max load my PSU is only pumping out 487.5 watts?

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I went out and got a new psu (Corsair CX750m bronze w/ the grey label), but the issue persists. I ran Rocket League with a CPU and GPU temp. overlay and both stayed at around 75 celsius until the crash a minute in. So if it isn't a cpu, gpu, or psu problem, is it a memory problem? I am using 16g of memory by V-Color.

Last edited:
Solution