System stops at GoBack Still Waiting....

My friend has a Gateway computer that won't start up. It goes to GoBack and
then just sits at the window where it says to hit the spacebar to make
repairs. It says still waiting... and never goes any further. I have tried
to get to the c:\ prompt, but can't figure out how to do it on a Gateway. I
have gone through the manual and don't see instructions either. Could you
please help me? I'm afraid my friend doesn't have a startup disk either.

Helene

"Helene" <helenejg@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>My friend has a Gateway computer that won't start up. It goes to GoBack and
>then just sits at the window where it says to hit the spacebar to make
>repairs. It says still waiting... and never goes any further. I have tried
>to get to the c:\ prompt, but can't figure out how to do it on a Gateway. I
>have gone through the manual and don't see instructions either. Could you
>please help me? I'm afraid my friend doesn't have a startup disk either.

Did this happen on the first reboot after the daylight savings change?

There was an issue with some older versions of Goback like this.

Check out the steps to disable Goback, and get an updated version of Goback
here.

http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/666809910.shtml

Jeff

You'll have to disable GoBack to get a prompt.
It sounds like the drive may have physical errors on it - determine the
manufacturer, and then download and run the drive-test utility they provide.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> You'll have to disable GoBack to get a prompt.
> It sounds like the drive may have physical errors on it - determine the
> manufacturer, and then download and run the drive-test utility they
provide.

Thanks, I'll try disabling GoBack, then see if I can get online.

Helene

"Jeff S" <jeffs209@NOSPAM.sio.midco.net> wrote in message
> "Helene" <helenejg@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> >My friend has a Gateway computer that won't start up. It goes to GoBack
and
> >then just sits at the window where it says to hit the spacebar to make
> >repairs. It says still waiting... and never goes any further. I have
tried
> >to get to the c:\ prompt, but can't figure out how to do it on a Gateway.
> >have gone through the manual and don't see instructions either. Could you
> >please help me? I'm afraid my friend doesn't have a startup disk either.
>
> Did this happen on the first reboot after the daylight savings change?
>
> There was an issue with some older versions of Goback like this.
>
> Check out the steps to disable Goback, and get an updated version of
Goback
> here.
>
> http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/666809910.shtml
>
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff. This is exactly what I was looking for. I will try this out
tomorrow. But it sure looks like the fix I need (and the instructions I
needed too).

Helene