Question System using Ryzen 5 2600 and RTX 2070 severely underperforming in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Hello Community.

My problem is as follows: I bought this new pc a while ago, prebuilt since i had no time to build one myself, but now issues arise.
First of all, the specs:
Palit RTX 2070 Dual V1, stable OC at 2000 MHZ-ish
Ryzen 5 2600, stock speeds
B540M board
750W PSU (dont ask which one exactly)
16 GB of 3000 MHZ ddr4 ram (At least when using an XMP profile, timings are rather bad though)

Playing at 1440p and using the ultimate performance mode windows 10 offers.

Now here is the issue: Games i recently played are running into quite some performance problems. For reference i tried the same games on my other, older system (980 TI, i5 4670k stock, 16G of ddr3 ram). The old system is running on 1080p, but i considered that the difference in part-quality should make up for the differing resolutions.

Example 1: 7 days to die. On my new system i can barely get to 60 fps, that is both on the ultra, high and medium preset. Even on low the perfomance is rather unstable. Here, my gpu is utilised pretty heavily and the cpu hovers at around 20 to 40%, with some cores being higher utilised than others. My old system has no problem pushing 100 fps on high preset, with the CPU being used 100%.

Example 2: Subnautica. New system struggling to keep 50 fps in certain areas, with the GPU usage dropping to 60/70 %. Old system has no trouble pushing 90 fps consistently. Both on ultra presets.

Example 3: Raft. Playing with my friends, the new system struggles with getting 60 fps, with the CPU usage being quite low again. Old system easily gets 100 fps. Highest settings, once again.

Example 4: Dark Souls 3. Again, new system often times heavily drops to the low 40s, old system never struggles.

The temperatures in my new system are quite high. Under load, when gaming, the GPU sits at around 70 degrees celsius whereas the CPU sometimes heats up to 75 °C. The CPU-Z stress-test pushes the CPU temps to about 60 °C. Then again, these performances are the same when freshly starting up the game and when it didnt have time to heat up yet.

I have of course tried reinstalling my Geforce Drivers, to no avail. Using ryzen master to OC my cpu doesnt work either.
The rig runs well on very gpu intensive games, though. The witcher 3 has no problems keeping a consistens 80 fps on ultra. Neither is there a problem when playing games like Mordhau, Monster Hunter World or Dying Light.

The cinebench r20 score is as it should be. The 3DMark timespy physics-test falls rather short, achieving only 5500 points.

I am, quite frankly, at the end of my knowledge and would highly appreciate any tips you guys can give me. I will of course provide any necessary information.

Until then i remain thankful for any answer and hope to hear from you all soon.

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
I'm going to. Look at the label on the side.

Updated all drivers included chipset? Updated bios?
Fresh windows install?
CPU and GPU temp?
Try setting GPU to stock.
Little mistake there, its not 750W.
Corsair VS650 650 Watt (80+)
Windows was already installed but i update regularly.
Have not done a bios update yet cause i am afraid of bricking stuff lmao. Chipset would merely mean installing ryzen master, correct?
The GPU is hovering around 70 Celsius while gaming, CPU up to 75.
Thank you!

Was this windows copy installed on another system first? That can throw things off sometimes.

VS650w is not what i would like to see paired with an oced 2070, but i would suspect something else.

Bios updates rarily brick anything, although possible.

Chipset drivers are included with the AMD All in one driver found below.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/#Download

GPU temps are good. What about CPU?
I still would reset oc on GPU just for testing.

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Was this windows copy installed on another system first? That can throw things off sometimes.

VS650w is not what i would like to see paired with an oced 2070, but i would suspect something else.

Bios updates rarily brick anything, although possible.

Chipset drivers are included with the AMD All in one driver found below.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/#Download

GPU temps are good. What about CPU?
I still would reset oc on GPU just for testing.
I would assume the windows copy is fresh, at least that is what the seller told me.
It could very well be that i have yet to install the chipset drivers, i will do that first thing tomorrow when i get access to the other system.
As mentioned the CPU temps are at around 75 under heavy load.
I will try to remove the GPU OC too once i have access to the system.
I ran some online calculators and it seemed to me 650 W is enough for my usages,

650w is fine, the VS models are entry level. In the words of a person that designs PSUs at Corsair, vs is great for "when you are using on cpu graphics or a low end graphics card." A 2070 is not exactly low end.

If the OS is fresh, that good.
I know that exact PSU, as I have used it extensively on many systems these past few years. Almost all of them fried after 6 months. It is utter crap - change it.

Dec 4, 2019
I have the same set up the temps on the r52600 are really high. The CPU could be throttling. The 2070 should be spitting out high framrates in all those games easly. I would check the thermal paste on the CPU cooler and replace it see if you can get those temps down, they are high even with the stock cooler so yeh.

I don't think the CPU is throttling because of temperature, I'd think it's more a problem with throttling caused by bad power. The fact that the CPU performs normally when by itself and the GPU doesn't throttle seems to me that the PSU is not delivering enough stable power when both are loaded.
Get a 650W FSP PSU before that Corsair crap fries your whole system!

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
I don't think the CPU is throttling because of temperature, I'd think it's more a problem with throttling caused by bad power. The fact that the CPU performs normally when by itself and the GPU doesn't throttle seems to me that the PSU is not delivering enough stable power when both are loaded.
Get a 650W FSP PSU before that Corsair crap fries your whole system!
If the power was not sufficient, how could i tell this? Any way to check for limiting factors during gaming? Would this PSU be good: Corsaix TX750M Gold?
Thank you!

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Well in the games i mentioned i just tried to look at the MSI overlay. When the gpu is used fully it tells me there is a power limit, but i do believe that is normal. How can i tell if my cpu is not getting enough power, because it seems like it doesnt.
Also, turning off the OC on the gpu didnt do the trick sadly.

CFSHeisenberg

Commendable
Aug 1, 2017
Also i just ran the CPU-Z bench. Not sure how relevant this is, but the single core is only 394 and the multicore is 2981. According to guru3d its supposed to be around 450 and 3500.

Status
Not open for further replies.