Mar 13, 2023
I recently upgraded from 2x8GB 3000mhz DDR4 to 2x16GB 3200mhz DDR4 on a system with a Ryzen 5 1600, RX570, and B350F. In task manager my total memory is displayed as 32gb, but the graph and all other data reads as if I have only 16gb. Also listed in task manager is "Hardware Reserved: 16gb". When I open the resource monitor I get a very similar story. "Total" ram is listed as 16gb, but "Installed" ram is listed as 32gb. Half of the bar is greyed out and listed as "Hardware Reserved".

I've checked in CPUZ, it just lists my memory "Size" as 32gb, and has no mention of hardware reserved memory or 16gb anywhere. As well as this, my BIOS lists my memory total as 32gb, and there's no mention anywhere of a "Hardware Reserved" option, in fact the only memory option I could find in my BIOS was for adjusting mhz speed (which I can't go above 2666mhz with thanks to my terrible processor lol).

I've tried using Msconfig to disable any ram limits, but when I loaded into the advanced options there was no limit in place, and nowhere else could I find a way to reduce this "Hardware Reserved" number. In fact I can't find mention of this term anywhere I've looked to adjust settings. I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go next. I've been told to disable XMP settings, but I can't even find them anywhere in my bios, they aren't where the memory mhz speed can be adjusted and I never tried to turn them on. Any pointers about what I can troubleshoot and adjust next would be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance!

I recently upgraded from 2x8GB 3000mhz DDR4 to 2x16GB 3200mhz DDR4 on a system with a Ryzen 5 1600, RX570, and B350F. In task manager my total memory is displayed as 32gb, but the graph and all other data reads as if I have only 16gb. Also listed in task manager is "Hardware Reserved: 16gb". When I open the resource monitor I get a very similar story. "Total" ram is listed as 16gb, but "Installed" ram is listed as 32gb. Half of the bar is greyed out and listed as "Hardware Reserved".

I've checked in CPUZ, it just lists my memory "Size" as 32gb, and has no mention of hardware reserved memory or 16gb anywhere. As well as this, my BIOS lists my memory total as 32gb, and there's no mention anywhere of a "Hardware Reserved" option, in fact the only memory option I could find in my BIOS was for adjusting mhz speed (which I can't go above 2666mhz with thanks to my terrible processor lol).

I've tried using Msconfig to disable any ram limits, but when I loaded into the advanced options there was no limit in place, and nowhere else could I find a way to reduce this "Hardware Reserved" number. In fact I can't find mention of this term anywhere I've looked to adjust settings. I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to go next. I've been told to disable XMP settings, but I can't even find them anywhere in my bios, they aren't where the memory mhz speed can be adjusted and I never tried to turn them on. Any pointers about what I can troubleshoot and adjust next would be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance!
Did you buy a kit of 2 sticks or 2 separate sticks?

Mar 13, 2023
if you see half of your ram as hardware reserved, then it means one of your ram sticks is not working, try reseating your ram sticks
I've reseated them quite a few times now, and in many different configurations. My mobo manual says to seat 0 1 0 1, and that's what I've tried the most, but doing 1 0 1 0, 1 1 0 0, and 0 0 1 1 multiple times each has led me to no changes, I'll either not POST at all, or I'll get into windows and it still runs on 16gb, and 16 hardware reserved.
Did you buy a kit of 2 sticks or 2 separate sticks?
I have a kit of 2 of the same stick, the info on the back of each stick (Ripjaws V) reads identically in all fields except for the "SN", which is off by exactly 1 between the two. Every other field reads identically.

I've reseated them quite a few times now, and in many different configurations. My mobo manual says to seat 0 1 0 1, and that's what I've tried the most, but doing 1 0 1 0, 1 1 0 0, and 0 0 1 1 multiple times each has led me to no changes, I'll either not POST at all, or I'll get into windows and it still runs on 16gb, and 16 hardware reserved.

I have a kit of 2 of the same stick, the info on the back of each stick (Ripjaws V) reads identically in all fields except for the "SN", which is off by exactly 1 between the two. Every other field reads identically.
does each stick work individualy?
i mean use 1 stick, see if it works, then replace with other stick, see if it works