[SOLVED] Tech support: desktop monitors black and/or green + reboot

Dec 23, 2019
Hello,

For a couple of weeks i have been having a problem with my (desktop) computer.
There are 3 different scenarios so far:
  1. Main monitor goes black, 2nd monitor goes green. PC shuts down and reboots automatically.
  2. Main monitor stays active, 2nd monitor goes green. PC does NOT shut down and does NOT reboot. I can't bring the 2nd monitor back to normal. Photo example 2
  3. Main monitor goes black, 2nd monitor stays active (not green). Can't bring main monitor back to normal.
Hardware
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor // Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 Full Modular PSU PC // Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 PULSE graphics card // Scythe Ninja 5 // Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16 // ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro NVME 1TB M.2 SSD // be quiet Silent Base 601 Orange Midi Tower // MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX motherboard
*EDIT: monitors = 2x iiyama ProLite Xu2492HSU-B1
Also: windows 10 pro (activated with license key)

These problems occur very randomly: while gaming (Runescape and/or League of Legends), working in an excel sheet + runescape or just while i only have my browser (chrome) open with the Whatsapp desktop app ... Therefor, I how no clue what is causing this problem.
Would be great if this issue could be solved, or at least, the cause could be tracked down!

Regards,
Baithoven

Solution
That 41 error often comes up when there are power issues, power supply or video card crashing. I would start with contacting CM for support and to RMA the power supply. Also make sure all the cables are in properly. Did anything happen before the issue started? Did you install or remove something from the system?

Really not much to go on here for troubleshooting without testing the parts, trying a lower power video card, another power supply would be my first steps.
Dec 23, 2019
Test with one RAM stick at a time. Is anything overclocked or has been overclocked? Try with another video card or test yours in another system?

Nothing is or has been overclocked.
I don't have another videocard to use. What do you think the problem is? Can i test this with software? (e.g. drivers are up-to-date)

Nothing is or has been overclocked.
I don't have another videocard to use. What do you think the problem is? Can i test this with software? (e.g. drivers are up-to-date)

Did you try doing a system restore to a point before the issue started? Check the event logs during time of the crashes? Are you using any adapters or converters? Test with one monitor on the system only to see if maybe a card port is bad?

Dec 23, 2019
Did you try doing a system restore to a point before the issue started? Check the event logs during time of the crashes? Are you using any adapters or converters? Test with one monitor on the system only to see if maybe a card port is bad?

I haven't tried a system restore point. I just checked the event log (ty for the tip!) and it gives 7 critical 'event types'. Info:
  • Event ID: 41
  • Source: Kernel-Power
  • Log: system
When i click on those. Under general tab:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
  • task category: (63)
  • keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
Under details
  • name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
  • event ID: 41
  • Version: 8
  • Level: 1
  • task: 63
  • Opcode: 63
  • keywords: 0x8000400000000002

I hope the above information useful for the smart problemsolver(s) (y)

That 41 error often comes up when there are power issues, power supply or video card crashing. I would start with contacting CM for support and to RMA the power supply. Also make sure all the cables are in properly. Did anything happen before the issue started? Did you install or remove something from the system?

Really not much to go on here for troubleshooting without testing the parts, trying a lower power video card, another power supply would be my first steps.

Solution