Question The BMAX B1 Mini PC did not detect Transcend 256GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

thakursn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
The product specification of the PC mentions "Solid State Disk: Support 1* M.2 2280 SSD." And the Package List mentions 1 x SATA cable. However, the receipt package of the order specifically did not contain a SATA cable rather it contained a HDMI Cable in place of said SATA cable.​
Since, M.2 was designed to support SATA and also PCIe, so this raised a question in my mind in selecting an appropriate interface between SATA and PCIe.​

However, there is a M Key socket in the system board of the PC for the M.2 2280 SSD, so possibility of SATA interface is eliminated (at least in my case) considering almost all M.2 2280 SSDs with SATA interface mostly have B+M Key edges but I do not find such an SSD with SATA interface have M Key edge. Besides, all M Key edged M.2 2280 SSD's have PCIe interface, so there's only one possibility for a M key socket i.e. PCIe interface.

Accordingly, I have purchased one Transcend 256GB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 80mm M.2 SSD. But after insertion in the The BMAX B1 Mini PC socket, it does not detect Transcend 256GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD. I did not change the default BIOS setup of the PC and uncertain whether the BIOS at all needs any setup modification for detecting the SSD.

So what may be the reason that the BMAX B1 Mini PC did not detect Transcend 256GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD in my case?

Update:
(i) I have not replaced the M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD to a M.2 SATA SSD by force inserting that M.2 2280 SATA SSD (another) to the M Key Socket, to find if the PC detects the M.2 SATA SSD,
Or,
(ii) I don't know if there is M Keyed PCIe SSD without NVMe Support and that PCIe SSD supports SATA flavour too?

c6a0f09f-0fe9-4372-bcf2-837635f31763.jpg

Last edited:
M.2 drives come in two flavors...SATA and NVME.

NVME support requires a specific chipset...it's likely your device only supports the SATA type of M.2 drive.

Many motherboard makers default to the M key slot for ease of manufacturing with one part and because both types of M.2 drive can work in it...having an M key slot does not equate to having NVME capability.

Last edited:
Reactions: thakursn

thakursn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017

NVME support requires a specific chipset...it's likely your device only supports the SATA type of M.2 drive.

M.2 2280 SATA SSD won't fit into the PC socket. Nor a M Key SSD have SATA Interface. I have explained this my my above post.

thakursn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017

Many motherboard makers default to the M key slot for ease of manufacturing with one part and because both types of M.2 drive can work in it...having an M key slot does not equate to having NVME capability.

So does it (your reply) either mean,
(i) If I replace the M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD to a M.2 SATA SSD and force insert that M.2 2280 SATA SSD to the M Key Socket then the PC may detect the SSD?
Or esle,
(ii) is there M Keyed PCIe SSD (without NVMe Support) and that supports SATA flavour too?

Last edited:
You won't have to "force"an M.2 SATA SSD drive into the slot...it will slip in just like the NVME drive...the SATA drive simply lacks one of the gold connectors that the NVME drive has.

I believe the NVME drive is not supported by the BMAX...it's a relativity cheap device so it most likely only supports SATA SSD.

Have you tried contacting BMAX support directly to verify NVME compatibility ? There may be a firmware update to enable support for your drive but I doubt it.

Reactions: thakursn

thakursn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
You won't have to "force"an M.2 SATA SSD drive into the slot...it will slip in just like the NVME drive...the SATA drive simply lacks one of the gold connectors that the NVME drive has.

I believe the NVME drive is not supported by the BMAX...it's a relativity cheap device so it most likely only supports SATA SSD.

Have you tried contacting BMAX support directly to verify NVME compatibility ? There may be a firmware update to enable support for your drive but I doubt it.

I thank you for your valuable reply.

Your reply suggest me that instead of the M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD rather I may try a new M.2 2280 SATA SSD that somehow I need to arrange first.

And yes, there were several interactions between me and the PC seller banggood.com (including its technical team) regarding proper interface of the SSD concerned.

Even before the BMAX B1 Mini PC was delivered to me, my probe about the interface of a M.2 2280 SATA SSD (having B+M Keys) responded negative by the Banggood's technical team showing the reason that the SSD should have only one Key (it was not confirmed whether B or M key),

Thereafter, on receipt of the PC and buying the NVMe SSD, my further communications with Banggood finally wanted me to get the PC to a local service centre and after getting it ready they wanted me to submit the Bill so that the amount can be transferred to my account. Somehow, I don't feel all of Banggood's responses were well thought.

So even before going to an undecided service centre here, I wanted to confirm the actual technical difficulties in detection of the SSD? As going to a service centre may or may not yield me a good result. In case of manufacturing defects, a service centre won't have anything to do.

I thank you again.

Note: US BMAX B1 PCs certainly have M.2 SATA Interface And the SSD slots too probably have B+M Keys, but I am not sure if the PC, that I have bought and certainly having M Key slot, would comply with US version of the PC, Bangggood was not clear to this point.

Last edited:

thakursn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
I thank you for your valuable reply.

Your reply suggest me that instead of the M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD rather I may try a new M.2 2280 SATA SSD that somehow I need to arrange first.

And yes, there were several interactions between me and the PC seller banggood.com (including its technical team) regarding proper interface of the SSD concerned.

Even before the BMAX B1 Mini PC was delivered to me, my probe about the interface of a M.2 2280 SATA SSD (having B+M Keys) responded negative by the Banggood's technical team showing the reason that the SSD should have only one Key (it was not confirmed whether B or M key),

Thereafter, on receipt of the PC and buying the NVMe SSD, my further communications with Banggood finally wanted me to get the PC to a local service centre and after getting it ready they wanted me to submit the Bill so that the amount can be transferred to my account. Somehow, I don't feel all of Banggood's responses were well thought.

So even before going to an undecided service centre here, I wanted to confirm the actual technical difficulties in detection of the SSD? As going to a service centre may or may not yield me a good result. In case of manufacturing defects, a service centre won't have anything to do.

I thank you again.

Note: US BMAX B1 PCs certainly have M.2 SATA Interface And the SSD slots too probably have B+M Keys, but I am not sure if the PC, that I have bought and certainly having M Key slot, would comply with US version of the PC, Bangggood was not clear to this point.

@dorsai

Well, after somany interactions, Banggood (the seller of the BMAX B1 PC) finally confirmed me that said PC indeed requires an M.2 2280 SATA SSD but they did not clarify if a SATA (B+M Keys edged) SSD would fit into the M.2 2280 SSD socket in the PC - appears to having a groove for M Key edged SSD. Though, as per your wise suggestion, a M+B keys edged SSD will slip into the socket (having M Key option), and I am yet to order a M.2 2280 SATA SSD (such action is delayed due to ongoing CODID-19 lockdown period.

I thank you for your support.

Last edited:

thakursn

Commendable
Aug 4, 2017
The product specification of the PC mentions "Solid State Disk: Support 1* M.2 2280 SSD." And the Package List mentions 1 x SATA cable. However, the receipt package of the order specifically did not contain a SATA cable rather it contained a HDMI Cable in place of said SATA cable.​
Since, M.2 was designed to support SATA and also PCIe, so this raised a question in my mind in selecting an appropriate interface between SATA and PCIe.​

However, there is a M Key socket in the system board of the PC for the M.2 2280 SSD, so possibility of SATA interface is eliminated (at least in my case) considering almost all M.2 2280 SSDs with SATA interface mostly have B+M Key edges but I do not find such an SSD with SATA interface have M Key edge. Besides, all M Key edged M.2 2280 SSD's have PCIe interface, so there's only one possibility for a M key socket i.e. PCIe interface.

Accordingly, I have purchased one Transcend 256GB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 80mm M.2 SSD. But after insertion in the The BMAX B1 Mini PC socket, it does not detect Transcend 256GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD. I did not change the default BIOS setup of the PC and uncertain whether the BIOS at all needs any setup modification for detecting the SSD.

So what may be the reason that the BMAX B1 Mini PC did not detect Transcend 256GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD in my case?

Update:
(i) I have not replaced the M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD to a M.2 SATA SSD by force inserting that M.2 2280 SATA SSD (another) to the M Key Socket, to find if the PC detects the M.2 SATA SSD,
Or,
(ii) I don't know if there is M Keyed PCIe SSD without NVMe Support and that PCIe SSD supports SATA flavour too?

c6a0f09f-0fe9-4372-bcf2-837635f31763.jpg

Update & Conclusion:
Finally the seller confirmed me that said PC indeed requires an M.2 2280 SATA SSD but they did not clarify if a SATA (B+M Keys edged) SSD would fit into the M.2 2280 SSD socket in the PC - appears to having a groove for M Key edged SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.