THE FUTURE OF x86 WHEN 64-BIT IS THE STANDARD ????

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
WELL IM WONDER WILL THE x86 DESIGN EVER GO AWAY. I HEAR AMD WILL MAKE A 64-BIT x86 PROCESSOR (HAMMER). WHAT ABOUT INTEL IS THE VERSION OF A 64-BIT (PENTIUM?) WILL THAT BE x86?? WILL THE THE IT STILL BE x86 (ex 16-BIT TO 32-BIT)?

G

First of all, I would like you to drop the caps cause it can offence the other readers ( to write in caps is like shouting.)

Second of all, while AMD is going the "safe" way, meaning by extending the x86 instructions with all new 64 bit instructions, Intel is going the other way by creating EPIC, it's all new set of inctructions which are, of course, 64 bit ( btw, Epic is somewhat based on VLIW type of instruction such as those used in some dedicated DSP chips and the Crusoe, from transmetta. The transmetta chip didn't perform quite well up till now; will it improve with Intel bred compilers??? We can only hope so!) The main problem with the Intel way is that the Itaniums( the name of the new processor) will have to emulate x86 code, meaning that it will/should be VERY slow while running legacy software. As for it's performance while running programs written for it, we can't say for sure, it will depend on the compilers.

G

.... The 'Hammers will use x86-64 as well as x86-16 & x86-32.

.... Pentiums, including PIV, will stay x86-32 max for now.

.... x86 is CISC (Complex Instruction Computer), which requires a lot of decoding to more RISC-like mini-codes that most processors can handle internally, but x86-64 will become more RISC-like in its new 64bit instructions, thus allowing faster decoding like other RISC-type processors, i.e. Apple, and the commercial ones, i.e. Alpha, IBM, SunSparc, HP.
.... intel's Merced-iTanic will use its own special, proprietary type of code (Epic ia64) that's not very universal and will need a special compiler for each and every application to work well. Speculation is rife that it won't work well at all. Also, the processor itself was supposed to be launched at 800Mhz a couple years ago, but is reported to be struggling pre-launch for 700 yet these days.

mpjesse

Splendid
Gosh, you people give toooooooo detailed answers too ppl.

AMD's Sledgehammer will run 32bit and 64 bit code using two CPU's on one die.

Intel's 64 bit processor (Itanium) will use emulation to work with 32bit code.

x86 will still live on in 32bit code, but pretty much be gone with 64 bit code and Intel/HP's IA-64.

-MP Jesse

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Itanium is going the same route as i860 11 years go - nowhere! Intel will eventually do the unthinkable.....assimilate AMD's x86-64 instruction extensions into an upcoming processor core.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have a question about the hammer now. how is the hammer set up like ?
1. (1)64bit and (1)32bit , like 2 different processors in 1 package
2. intergrated 64bit w/32bit, like an all in one

i would not invest in intel right now there goofing up like w/ the pentium1 w/o mmx with the bad fpu. Amd wasnt wasnt a power in those days to beat them. k5 days. (K6 series is the one that made them a player not the athlon)

And last off. my personal idea how amd could take the market.
!!!!ATHLON W/ L1 128kb , L2 256kb, L3 2mb !!!
Just like the k6-3
!!!!K6-3 W/ L1 64KB , L2 256KB, L3 2MB !!!

then ill get an AMD system and never come back

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If (hypotheticaly) Intel will made 64-bit cpu, they might make it 32-bit code compatible , the same way they move from 8088/286 to 386 - from 16-bit to 32-bit.
I guess there will be a linux 64 in next day, and a decade later Windows 2015 will be "truely 64 bit multitasking operating system" . Or they can just one day stop selling Pentium (?number?), and stop all suport for it and make 64 bit CPU that will run 32-bit software on emulator/translator only that will run too slow (like x86 code on PowerPC or Alpha). But that way they could loose competition very fast

G

Actually I heard stories about Intel doing a x86-64 like processor back in '93/94 and eventually scrapped it because they think it's technically impractical (heh!) ,so they went full force on the EPIC itanic thing.

If AMD's x86-64 eventually sells (no matter if it actually gets adopted or is just good marketing hype), Intel should be able to pull off their own x86-64 and it will definitely NOT be compatible with AMD's because they are Intel THE standard setter (3DNow! arrived 6 months earlier than SSE but Intel still go with SSE even though both basically do the same thing)!!!!