The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I really don't notice a difference in my view, I'm already getting 100+FPS in any game. But when I want to do nvidia surround, that'll be pretty useful.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
So, in my impatience, I ordered a 540 air instead of watiing the 2 weeks or so in the backorder queue to get a 760t. Somehow, the one I got had 0/3 fans that worked, connected to my motherboard. I think it's a sign that I need to wait for the 760t

You got an Air 540 rather than an 760t?due to impatience? I did the same but cause I didnt want to wait months for an H440. The 760T is nice. If I had to wait 2 weeks for the H440, I would have. But not months.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Yes, I plan on running triple crossfire soon.

The Air 540 has less lateral space in the motherboard side than it looks due to all the space they use for the back/PSU. This is one of the reasons I would not buy one. For how huge the case is, you would think Corsair would give you 1-2cm more space. There are other standard mid tower cases with 180mm+ clearance space. The Noctua NH-D14 heatsink itself is 160mm tall, so it should fit as long as you push the center 140mm fan all the way down to touch the adjustment tightening screw. There are alot of air coolers that do not fit in this case though so make sure to check before buying one.

ALSO, make sure when you read on newegg that a heatsink is x mm tall, you understand that the only usually measure the fins and that measurement doe not usually account for the heat pipes sticking out the top or for the fan sitting above the top of the fins a bit.

The Corsair 300r also has a stated 170mm clearance, and here is a photo of a "158mm" cooler (remember it is actually bigger than that) in the case:
index.php

When they close the case, the side panel basically touches the tips of the heat pipes. The cooler pictured is the Noctua NH-U12P.

This Phanteks, will not fit no matter what as it is 171mm. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011

I havent checked the max wattage draw on them yet as the 2nd 780ti is comming in the mail today. I have the first one over clocked a bit which I will probably put it back to factory since it wont be needed in sli. So ya think the hx850 has enough ooomf in it to drive those 2 gpu's and the rest of my system? I mean I hope so cause the cheapest name brand psu I found at 1300watts is the evga for 229 which sounds like a great deal anyway for a 80+gold.

UGH I just had to remount the stock cooler on my GTX 780 for the third time. It was hard to get a good mount. Temps would look good at first but then full load to idle cool down would take forever and the temps would hang in the low 50C's. I finally got it working right. So many little screws on this ah heck.

When it came did it have this issue?
Did it have the normal extreme amount of thermal paste some card makers are known for?

I had a waterblock on it and was reinstalling the stock cooler. Took me a while to get it right. First was too little TIM, then too much, the third mount was jusssst right! [:stickg1:2]

The case is very good for watercooling. I have seen some amazing builds in these with awesome open loop setups.

8dbd474a_8p73.jpeg

509692165583.jpg

Water cooling looks really good in this case.

Yeah the excessive room in the back is a bit much, but I have seen a few open loops with pumps and reservoirs hidden in the back, which looks REALLY clean. I do believe that requires cutting a moding the case though, from what I have seen.

@ tiny voices, That looks amazingly clean.

@ stickg1, I find video cards are a bit more picky. I remember having to redo the paste on one of those old passive Zalman coolers for my 9800 pro because the contact was not good. Since then I add a bit more for video cards.