The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I have to agree with this. I have seen some good bend on boards with the stock cooler that does not happen with a cooler with a good backplate to distribute the force.

RussK1

Splendid

What Load Line are you using?

RussK1

Splendid

LLC controls Vdroop. Usually settings are none, normal, auto, ultra high and extreme (which adds extra voltage typically +.005v). Say your CPU needs 1.3v for a 4.5GHz OC and you manually set it to that voltage if LLC isn't set right under load the voltage will drop and you'll get a resulting BSOD. Typically, any OC over 4.4 you need higher LLC...

Listen to Russ, Omar, he knows his stuff!

I used that Zalman cooler before, performs very well. The single fan is not removable and it's motor is mounted on a metal bracket between those two heatsinks. If this metal bracket gets bent out of shape (easy to do when installing in a case) the fan may rattle or otherwise make an undesirable noise. You can fix it easy enough but just knowing this is the problem is the hardest part!

Good unit, but I prefer a removable fan model in case of failure or for general ease of use and customization.

What's happening in Stick's neck of the woods? Down-sizing and usage optimization.

New main rig (in progress), mounted in a Silverstone SG-08:

ASRock Z77E-ITX
i5-3570K
Silverstone 120mm downblowing heatsink/fan
8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz 9-11-10-28
EVGA GTX 750 ti
Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w Gold Full Modular SFX PSU
Intel 7260HMW AC
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDD

Updates to come.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Small office pc or a htpc???

RussK1

Splendid

You don't need to go back down, just set LLC high and closely monitor your voltages. 1.3v for 4.5 on a 4670K seems really high even for a bad chip. I'd almost guarantee that if you watch closely there's a correlation to BSOD's and voltage dropping under loads.

In HWmonitor there's a VID reading, this is what the processor calls for and and actual CPU VCORE. Watch what the processor calls for vs what it actually gets. My Maximus V Extreme @ Extreme LLC adds +.002v under normal loads and +.02v under extreme loads (IBT and Prime). It's right on...

Russ, Im kinda confused. First off, I dont want 4.5. 4.4 ghz is perfect. Second. How Do i change the LLC? Where is it? And on your VID, Which one does it have and which one does it call for?

So my main question is, Do I use override? And for 4.4ghz, what voltage and LLC should I try?

As the above users have said LLC(Load Line Calibration) is made to fight v-drop(a voltage drop below what you have it set to) at higher loads.

Intel's actual specs called for v-drop at heavy loads at one point in the past and may well still call for it.

The problem with this drop is it can put you JUST below your stability point and crash the system. so this feature depending on setting will ADD voltage under loads allowing you to keep the system stable. You could also just increase the voltage to compensate, but then you have high voltage across the board(something you do not need).

Sometimes you also have to watch out when cutting the voltage close. I have seen crashes under mid level load(yet be rock solid at idle and running prime all day long) because the cpu was not getting what it needed at a mid clock speed(this could be why some users like to turn OFF power saving features). A small bump fixes that.

Also some boards may allow you to add extra turbo voltage to allow you to keep the other voltages a bit lower.

With every cpu being different, you have to experiment until you get what works for you.

Always remember you will hit a point that you need MUCH more voltage for almost no gains, so if 4.0 is fast enough for you, no actual point in trying for more unless you are in some kind of pissing contest with someone(and that makes no sense on a system that gets the job done @ 4.0).

Back in the Q6600 days, Some users got 3.4-3.6 on stock voltage. My Q6600 could JUST get to 3.0 on stock voltage(had to v-drop mod the board too, it was that close).

It was more than enough for me at the time so I never bothered for over 3.0. I am sure it would have not been a great overclocked either way. Luck of the draw.

Stick, you've got some of the same guts I'm using in Gypsy. I'm using DDR3-1600 though, and since it's low-profile, a HD7750. It has two SSDs (one mSATA) and a hybrid drive in it. Right now, it and its monitor are pulling 63W from its UPS.
I cranked up GW1 and got it up to 108W.

Its kind of sad, I think my monitor takes more power than your system and monitor(damn you CFL's). Wish someone make a monitor with the features I want. Good color/low power/wide viewing/decent speed, but without that glow that all the newer ips screens seem to have.

Nukemaster - Im not "OC savvy" Thats my weak part when it comes to PCs/OCing. When It comes to OCing, I need to be treated like a darn baby :p

EG:

Mirakledba, For 4.4ghz, set your Ratio to 44, voltage to X.XXX and this is how you find the LLC. Go here, there and there. Make that XXXXXX

:p

The manual for the board has the exact location of LLC, but again, only so far each chip will go.

After waiting as long as you did, I would baby that computer :)

No one can give you the exact voltage. I always start at default and move up or down with offset as needed. Others demand fixed voltage. User preference/luck.

Waiting as long as I did to get the PC? Baby it meaning like take care of it and dont Ruin it with OCing right?

I remember finding a 4.2 stable....Should i try 4.3?

On a side note, I just read your quote. First thing that came to my mind? Kim Jong Un.

You keep asking if you should go for one more GHZ. NO ONE CAN ANSWER THAT BUT YOU. People here have said don't even bother overclocking. Some have said go for it and helped. No one will be like "YEAH! go for .1GHZ more!" That is something you need to decide for yourself. Don't forget you are overclocking for bragging rights and a hobby, not for performance.

Tiny - Yeah thats right. I know its my choice. Was just asking for some advice. And Bragging rights? Is this how it has become to people? Oh, I paid $240 for my CPU and 100 for my cooler, I want to OC but too bad, people think im gonna brag. Thats just said :/ I Do it for performance. Not for bragging. StickG1 has an awesome overclock, does he brag? No, thats how I am. I dont brag.

And Im not mad at you or anything at all, just showing how much I hate it when people think I do it for bragging :/

I didn't mean it as though you were bragging. Bragging rights is as simple as having a clock speed stated in your Rig description. Look, even I have it. I'm not bragging to the world, just showing an accomplishment. I never meant to say you were trying to show off or brag. Bragging rights, is just a term to say you accomplished something.

Also, what performance gains have you seen? I'm really curious about this. Aside form benchmarks, I would think it would be difficult to see any real difference in performance.