The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 580 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

That car sounds like a pile. I'd sell it and buy something better instead of dumping more money into it. Did you end up recovering the seats?

Man I always listen to CDs in my car. AC/DC, Northwest Sinfonia, The Beatles, Megadeth. I love CDs still. I don't really care for the aux method (well, and my car doesn't have an auxillary cord input, not that I care).

MDXX

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

aux cord and my ipod all the way. That way i have all my tunes on hand for my subs to work with

GG.

Our store's refrigeration unit, which cools our walk in cooler, broke AGAIN.

1st time. Compressor broke
2nd time. compressor broke
3rd time. Compressor broke.

Oh, and did I mention we replaced the compressor 6 months ago...

That is another 1700$ down the drain, AND we are having to contimplating using the one we have as a backup unit, and buying a NEW 5hp chiller for our main unit.

Ouch.

g-unit1111

Titan

I love buying CDs too but I'm pretty much done with physical media. I use iTunes to buy albums and Google Play for movies. I'll only buy CDs anymore if it's a box set that I really want to get but for regular albums I do the same thing with my iPod hooked in my car through USB.

you guys should buy on vinyl. you get the download key for the digital anyways. the artwork is much much cooler being big. and if by chance the album becomes rare or out of common pressing the value will go up. and its an excuse to get a decent quality turntable and accompanying stereo.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Driving down the highway... 'Vette and a GT350 show up. I assume it's a 350 since it was the latest gen and had the 350 parts... That sound...
Yeah, so these two did the expected and "raced"... Idiots... Never will forget that sound though...

I thought it was a GT500 at first, but I didn't see any details besides the hood vent that it was a GT500... It was dark, and I was taking a nap, woke up when I heard the cars rev

I have a few friends with newer mustang's. It's fun to beat up on them with my family sedan. Lol

I have the stock stereo in my car currently and I have a custom AUX cord I wired in myself. Easy.

I do have an aftermarket headunit that I have owned for years. Sony ES CDX-C90. It was $1200 in 1999. Generally regarded as one of the best head units ever made. Makes all the sub $1000 modern units sound like you are listening to music through a tin can. It's amazing. I don't have it in the car and won't until we move out of downtown in June because it will get stolen within like a week. Back when I had it in my VW, every meet/show I went to there was someone flagging me down trying to buy it for like $600-$700.

My buddy has a $1000 Alpine unit in his car and I told him I have a unit from 1999 that will blow it away. We swapped it in, and his jaw dropped. He sold the Alpine on CL and bought an early 2000s era Pioneer SQ headunit.

Nothing modern holds a candle to these older units.

Best part? I found it in a junkyard car and paid $45 for it.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Damnit Tiny, let us enjoy our MURICAN V8s...
I think that was what was going through those people's minds last night...

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Figures... Still sounds amazing though... Car and Driver did a review over the Z/28(Which I don't like how it looks, to each his own).. GT350R won.. Again, to each his own... Both ways, I'd hope to have a spare set of tires...

Yeah 100% agree. You aren't buying that car because it's super fast or anything. You are buying it because of the name and what it symbolizes and that it is a fun car.

If you wanted a proper fast car or a track car, you would build one for a fraction of the cost.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

lol
I was just wondering..

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Can someone help me figure you why it says, in CPU-Z and OpenHardwareMonitor, why my Bus speed is 333 MHz, when my mobo is rated for 400/800/1333 and my processor goes up to 1333. I thought it would be at 400 MHz since that is the speed of the RAM I have.

D

Deleted member 217926

You have an E8400 right? At stock? The chip uses its 9x multiplier x the FSB so 333 x 9 = 2.997Ghz.

D

Deleted member 217926

Core2 did best with a 1:1 RAM/FSB ratio. Don't forget that's still DDR so DDR2 800 is running at 400Mhz. The E8400 would go to 400Mhz FSB ( 3.6Ghz ) usually with no voltage increase or really even a need for aftermarket cooling if you had DDR2 800. With a stock 333FSB you would use DDR2 667 for a 1:1 ratio.

There should be somewhere in BIOS to choose the 1:1 ratio.

D

Deleted member 217926

Right. CPU-Z reads actual speed. Double it to get effective speed ( DDR = double data rate ) or what the RAM is marketed as. So 400 in CPU-Z means DDR2 800. My DDR3 1600 reads as 800 etc.

Oh and the 1:1 FSB/RAM ratio was most useful for overclocking so with locked BIOS you don't need to worry about it.