The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 599 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Uh, it's no alias. I've been a member for a year and a half, and have 3,717 solutions in that time. I have no other accounts or memberships here. Not sure where you got that idea but you're mistaken.

As for the air compressor, I was actually referring to the less expensive 12v model, as it's more than powerful enough for blowing out a PC, but the pancake is a much better product if you can afford it. There's also the one anort3 suggested, which I've heard is very good.

I own the top of those 2 links. I have used it probably 250 times in 4 years to air up tires. I have done mine countless time and I have helped others with low/flat tires in parking lots a million times. So convenient, but it only operates on a 12v cigarette lighter. It is tiny and I carry it around in the trunk. EVERYONE should have one. It has saved me several hours multiple times. Back in college my GF and I went on a trip in her old car to meet her parents at a cabin near a big lake. It was a 1.5 hour drive for us and much of it was on back roads. I brought the compressor and it saved our butts. On the drive back to school on Monday morning (we stayed Friday-Monday) for afternoon classes, we got a flat in the middle of backwoods western MD. Would have taken AAA forever to get there and we would have missed class. We get out to change the tire and the spare has about 8psi in it (full size spare and should be 32psi). Luckily my GF (Kristen, don;t know why I have never mentioned her name) was able to air the tire up while I pulled the flat one off. Just one of many times that thing has saved my bacon.

Also, Dark was referencing the bottom link. My dad has one of these.

No problem. After the first time I used it in the parking lot to help someone else with a VERY low tire, I realized it's worth and bought 3 and mailed them home to my parents, one for each car.

Even if you have something like a nail in the tire, causing a very slow leak, using this compressor to go from almost flat to completely full, will easily get you 20-30 miles of safe driving to get to a tire shop and get it plugged. This is what most of the use was of mine. I went to WVU so I ran over all manner of things in the road and had to have like 15 tires plugged over my 4.5 years there. My compressor got me to the local tire shop every time. Did the same for MANY others I was able to help as well.

It is also super useful when the weather changes. Like this year in Denver when it went from 90F to no more than 30F and as low as 0F it was AWESOME to be able to air up the tires in the parking garage, and not have to drive on tires 5-10PSI low all the way to a gas station just to pay to use the air there.

My only advice about the small compressor is to make sure you have the compressor running before connecting it to the tire valve stem. If you connect it and then turn it on, the immediate load will blow the cigarette lighter fuse. I have done this many times by accident.

I also have a 35AH deep cycle AGM battery I would use to power it if not at the car. That reminds me, I really ought to get something like a 30A inline fuse for that, or maybe a circuit breaker; and I should pick up some spare fuses for the car (I have lights, but not fuses, oops...).

I think only once in my life did I ever have to replace an auto fuse, and I don't even remember what circuit it was.
The most "unusual" fuse I ever had to replace (most people don't know they're there; many in this group probably do) was one of the inline fuses inside a Tripplite UPS I had back in 1985.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Assassin's Creed Rogue working. The game starts and everything, and when it gets to your guy in the very first mission, as soon as you walk, it crashes. I can look around all day and do anything else, but right when I walk it crashes, and strangely I cannot find information about this online.

I installed it from the DVD-ROM and updated it to the latest version and it did this, then I even uninstalled it and downloaded it, but it still does it. So now I'm going to try installing version 1.0 and not update to see if it works or not.

Unity works but of course is the most unoptimized game on the graphics side I have played, especially with vsync enabled.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Yes, 2 Ghz at 51 C on idle.
Prolly my crap mobo/BiOS.

On a side note, does anyone else see the GPU usages at 0 in MSI Afterburner on version 4.2.0 with the latest RTSS... I figure this release may be in Colorado enjoying some legalized drugs. :p

Current CPU cooler: http://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-Cooler-Socket-617755-001-Intel/dp/B00HT4W35A
The fact that I found that surprises me, have been trying to find it for ages.

Realtemp shows the same as OHW

I'm now running on my GTX750Ti. When I got home, my PC obviously woke up, but the display stayed blank. A monitor power cycle reported "Display Port No Signal." A power-cycle of the PC didn't help. I switched to the DVI output and was greeted by a flashing pink screen. Removed the Asus Strix GTX970 and put in the EVGA GTX750Ti, and all is well again. That makes 3/4 (or 4/5?) Asus graphics cards to arrive DOA or die way too early. Oh well, at least I was able to get a RMA number for it. Asus makes great motherboards, but dicey graphics cards.

WHen I had the choice between the SSC and the Strix, I went with SSC because warranty/location, plus had heard of 970 issues

D

Deleted member 217926

EVGA also allows for aftermarket thermal paste. Best warranty around. I've used their cards exclusively since the 6600 GT AGP 4X.

I will ship this out on Saturday. Hopefully the replacement will be solid. I was reluctant before this one due to past failures, but now Asus graphics cards have made it onto my personal "do not buy" list. I bought this one used from another TH user; I am NOT blaming him AT ALL, as the card worked fine for 11 months. This is on Asus. I never stressed it by overclocking (no need), and besides it died in its sleep, not in the middle of a game.
If the second one dies, I'll probably go back to my HD7970, grinding my teeth over the power waste until I get another card; I may settle for a GTX960, from either EVGA or MSI.

I personally stay away from Asus products, not for any particular reason (now you have a reason to), but I usually just fine better options. Take their motherboard for example. They may be top of the line, but if you really want to buy the latest Maximus it'll be like $400! I think Asus loses competition to Asrock and Gigabyte in the cheaper motherboard market, but that's just all my opinion.

Man, that's a shame, 4/5 Asus cards to all arrive DOA or die early. So far in terms of GPUs I have used EVGA and MSI, both are working very well, and the EVGA has taken some beatings (in the middle of the night I knocked an iPad off my shelf which then knocked the GPU off the shelf and onto the floor).

I like EVGA for Nvidia cards often because for one thing the small form factor (the SC versions, work great in small cases) and the high factory overclock.

I just wish my MSI card would sag less, but oh well. And no I'm not going to tie fishing wire in my case. It's not that bad, but sagging is worse at night than the morning. Maybe something with the earth's gravity?

I have used Asus motherboards without any issues. I'll admit they are a little extravagant, but typically have a specific feature I want (e.g. Sonic Radar). I frequently choose ASRock though, for overall value.