The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 600 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
It's not so much as covering such as allowing the RAM sticks to be there... The fan is placed high enough. RAM first, then cooler is how I do it... Dunno why they put the cooler in first.

I like the Origami tester file that they give you.. Although its useless for me since I can't do such fancy things.

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh man his character tells a really insane story toward the end of the first half of the movie. And Jennfier Jason Leigh gets splattered with blood in just about every scene. Definitely not for the faint of heart. :lol:

This post will be my last for a while. Going to European continent for a school trip. Will be going to Prague and Vienna. In addition to that, I finally got my own dedicated phone line, so I actually have a phone, not a crappy iphone 4 that is prepaid. And I bought a gopro hero(1) to document it all. Been a rather wild year, to be honest.

Packing for the trip is really hard. It is going to be roughly 0-5c in prague so I am super nervous that I am under prepared. The GoPro will hopefully record the flying aspect of the trip. Hopefully I get a window seat.

But yea, won't be on very much for the next 10 days, so have a happy new year, guys!

:)

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I though XS-PC was dormant until they released their new Raystorm block... I got bored and ending up making a build on pcpartpicker which really, is absolute overkill... 4 Titans on the ASRock Board which supports x16/x16/x16/x16 with the top tier i7 Extreme edition... Maxed out the RAM with the G. Skill TridentZ line, which I think looks amazing... I got bored, OK. Just adding in all the watercooling parts and plastidip to paint the blue on the mobo... ah dreams.

So, update on the fans. Apparently, the corner pads on the Noctua fans are silicone rubber, and can't be painted, plasti-dipped or dyed. Waste of time trying. FAIL. The rest worked out ok though. Also, there are no red Chromax corner pads available for the NF-A14 right now, everybody is and has been sold out for some time, and they don't make them at ALL for the NF-A15, because Noctua seems to think nobody would want colored vibration pads on their shitty color scheme, which is true, but nobody says you have to keep their color scheme, as seen below. Would look much like my mock up if I could get the colored corners for it.

2r7alvr.jpg

Before and after of the NF-A14, which was sent to me by mistake. I ordered another NF-A15 to match my other four, and that's what comes on the NH-U14S cooler, but since this has a higher static pressure anyhow, I'll use it on the cooler in place of that. Makes it look just like their industrial versions, except quieter and with PWM support.

znvlvm.jpg

Also, I did get the Chromax rubber screws, so at least that will add a small amount of class to the fans.

foewi8.jpg

NOTHING will stick to silicone. Which is why we hate it in the remodeling and painting professions. It's why they've developed products like Lexel and semi-silicone caulking, which ARE paintable. Lexel is far superior to silicone anyhow. For soft silicone rubber parts though, I've found MUCH discussion which has resulted in the understanding that this material will not allow bonding from any kind of surface coating and will only dye to a small extent using hair dyes.

That process is lengthy and has unsatisfactory results with anything aside from the darkest colors. Nothing bright will take as it turns out looking more like pastel colors on light or clear silicone and mud on anything that started out even semi-dark. Noctua needs to pull their head out, and start offering what people want. I'm really, really tempted to simply sell these fans off and go with some Aerocool DS-140 red/black fans. If I wasn't traditionally a staunch Noctua supporter, it would already have happened.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
I see...

Note to self: don't delete the backup for GTA V files when your mods fail...
Redownloading all 60 gigs of that now... bye bandwidth once again.

I thought FrozenCPU went under, but their site is still up... weird...

The_Tester

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Have you tried accelerated UV exposure combined with a harsh stipper/solvant over night? I've had some success with that combined with a "soak" in extra thinned out isocyanate based paint (but before it gets goopy). You may be able to etch the paint into the silicon somewhat. That or try to degrade it a bit an o3 rich environment (capture some off an ozone generator and toss them in). But i'm not sure how that would play out once it started getting flexed. I mostly experimented with this when trying to apply a logo to a silicon mold in a former life.

Way more work than it's worth to be honest.

That is why still to this day I prefer to buy my PC games on CD-ROM. I use my optical drive daily.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

This was at midnight and i was heading to sleep anyways. It's at 99% when I got to my computer in the morning.

Oh, you're thinking of this. :lol:

820.jpg

As do I. This was my first "mobile" type computer. A Bondwell B200. I think it was around 1990 that I had that. After that, my next "laptop" was one of the original Thinkpads, that still looked somewhat like a box, but had more of a traditional laptop feel to it, and the little red rubber nub.

lap_b200_05.jpg

g-unit1111

Titan

Soooooooooooo jealous! I have always wanted to go to that part of Europe, but currently lacking the funds to do so is what is preventing me from going. Have fun!

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
lol sorry, bad wording.
At the end of the street, there is the mailbox that the entire street uses... Like one small box for each house..
getthumb
img]
Like that, but not as fancy. Someone took a drill or a saw to the lock in the back, and ended up ripping the back of the box and took everyone's mail... not sure what to do... gonna call USPS on monday.

I'd just call the police, now, and let them sort it out and get the USPS involved. That's a federal crime and could have serious consequences for whomever did it if they can catch them. There's cameras everywhere these days, so you never know.