Question The performance of my dedicated GPU has decreased in specific programs

Apr 19, 2020
Hello guys,

for the past couple of weeks I've been having a weird issue with my GPU.
I'm on a laptop, my specs are - 8gb RAM, i5-9300h, GTX 1650.

At first I've noticed it while booting up GTA Online. It took ages to boot and when it did, I had less than 30 fps which was very unusual for me. This same thing happend in LoL and The Divison 2 - again, much lower fps. I thought this was happening because I didn't have the newest nvidia drivers, so I downloaded them - nothing changed. So I looked at the task manager and discovered that while playing these games the integrated GPU was the one with the heaviest load. (dedicated had some usage but much lower) The weirdest thing that I've discovered is that this problem has been happening only in games outside of Steam. Games like Rocket League, CS:GO, Paladins run smoothly.

I started getting frustrated so I searched online and tried these things - put everything into high performance and selected the dedicated gpu everywhere in the control panel - even in specific programs. Nothing helped. Not sure if this is useful piece of info but here are screenshots from the task manager taken while playing the games mentioned above (the percentages don't play any role because they dropped right after I alt+tabbed to make a screenshot) - Minecraft, League of Legends, The Division 2 and the good performing Rocket League.

I have to mention that all of the games used to perform well and I have no clue what could've cause this.

I'm open towards any help. If you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them.

Apr 19, 2020
Hello guys,

this is a followup to a post I made a few days ago, which sadly, got 0 replies :/

After that post was made, I contacted the offical Asus support. The first thing that the dude recommended me to do is to reinstall NVIDIA, Intel graphics and chipset drivers. I did just that. Sadly, it didn't fix my issue. Then he said I could try to reinstall the OS and if that doesn't help, then I should "take it to a repair shop for a system diagnosis/repair."
The thing is, I don't think that there's a hardware issue that needs to be fixed. As I mentioned, this only happens to games outside of Steam. I'm planning on reinstalling the OS soon but I just wanted to ask, if there's something I can try before that? I'm seriously desperate :/ As I mentioned in the previous post, I can provide any additional info that might help you guys help me :D
Thanks in advance!

Finally could open the photo better with my computer. As you can see aida64 warns about cpu temperature throttling and its dropping your frames really fast. This is certainly one of your issues, since too high cpu temperature can also lower gpu clocks, depending on your laptop model.

Download intel xtu and follow these steps for undervolting your processor, this does not void warranty or risk anything since you are not increasing voltage, just lowering it meaning only thing which might happen is crashing (cpu doesnt get enough voltage for the clock speed its running) which is ompletely safe. Intel xtu will reset all settings if you do crash so you need to set the values again. It will save values after rebooting so you dont have to change them everytime, it only resets if you crash :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlENDKpLKk

Start from -100mv , if that is enough to make you not throttle you can stay at that. See how it goes.

Apr 19, 2020
Finally could open the photo better with my computer. As you can see aida64 warns about cpu temperature throttling and its dropping your frames really fast. This is certainly one of your issues, since too high cpu temperature can also lower gpu clocks, depending on your laptop model.

Download intel xtu and follow these steps for undervolting your processor, this does not void warranty or risk anything since you are not increasing voltage, just lowering it meaning only thing which might happen is crashing (cpu doesnt get enough voltage for the clock speed its running) which is ompletely safe. Intel xtu will reset all settings if you do crash so you need to set the values again. It will save values after rebooting so you dont have to change them everytime, it only resets if you crash :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlENDKpLKk

Start from -100mv , if that is enough to make you not throttle you can stay at that. See how it goes.
I just tried that, there's no throttling anymore, the temps are usually less than 80°C :) But still, 0% GTX 1650 usage while playing GTA Online, around 30 fps :/